[1]

A/N: considering the title of the story is somewhat unsettling and foreboding, i don't blame those who decide to jump ahead to the last chapter to see if it's worth reading.

but please, please don't do it! you're ruining the story, and trust me when i tell you, the ending is not as bad as you're probably imagining. i took my time to write each chapter with care, so please don't ruin the order in which i decided to structure the story, and the overall surprise. thank you!

She turned the page of her book. Her eyes wandered through the words and sentences. She turned the page again.

Suddenly, an extremely unpleasant smell filled her nose, making her look up.

There was a boy leaning on another tree in front of her. He was smoking and blowing large puffs towards her.

"Hey, " she said. "Can you not blow the smoke towards me, please?"

Their eyes locked.

But then he looked away.

She watched him exhale to the side, doing as she requested. A smile took place on her face.

"Thanks."

She waited for a reply but he merely nodded without so much as a glance at her. His silence was somewhat respected by her.

  After all, words were such a waste.

  Sighing, she returned her gaze to the book. But she had already lost interest, due to the recent distraction.

  I'll continue tomorrow, she thought.

  As she stood, she eyed the boy. He looked young, about her age or a year older. Even though she wouldn't admit it, he was very handsome.

  But in her opinion, smokers were less attractive.

  Nonetheless, he had been kind to her when she asked him to blow his smoke away from her. So she decided to repay him with kindness back.

  "Thanks again. Have a good afternoon."

  She didn't expect a reply this time. With a small smile, she walked away with her book in hand.