s i x || hey there delilah

Dedicated to @bookbabere because I finished Prank Caller in less than thirty minutes and one sitting this morning.

-----

The sky is covered with sparkling constellations, the moon a couple of nights from being completely full. As she piles her things inside her bag and gets ready to head home to her apartment on the other side of the city, the phone rings.

"Hello, thank you for calling AskAway. What can I do for you tonight?" she says most of the greeting even though she's almost positive she knows who is on the other line.

"You sound tired today," Liam tells her, his voice huskier than usual. "You're not nearly as cheery as you were the first day."

"Because that's what every girl wants to hear," she responds sarcastically, throwing in a laugh. "We need to work on your people skills, Liam."

"Well, how was your day?" Liam asks. "Thanks for the pizza by the way. It was delicious, but I still don't think it's as good as Domino's."

"You're welcome. And my day was long." She sighs. "It's been another long day. I don't know why, but June is the month for breakups."

"Might just have to add me to the long list," Liam jokes. "I'm sorry that I'm just making your day longer."

"No, don't worry about it," she assures him honestly. "I don't mind talking to you."

"You told me if I called you again, you would tell me your name."

"If you talked about real problems," she reminds him of their conditions. "Are you going to talk about real problems today, Liam?"

"My pizza crisis was a real problem!" he defends himself. "And yes, I have a "real" problem today."

"Why don't I believe you?"

"Come on! How is it fair that you know my name but I don't know yours?"

"Nessa," she finally tells him after a long pause of silence. "Well actually it's Vanessa, but I go by Nessa."

"That's a pretty name. Hi, Nessa."

"Hi, Liam."

"So, I have Delilah's phone on the coffee table in front of me. I think it's mocking me."

"Liam, a phone is an inanimate object. It doesn't have the ability to speak, so it can't possibly mock you."

"Siri would beg to differ!"

It's amazing how easily he makes her laugh.

"Well, have you looked at it? Do you know her passcode? You really didn't think this through, did you?"

"Hell no," he responds enthusiastically. "Her passcode is her birthday. It's not very original, I know."

"My passcode is my birthday," she mumbles. "It's easy to remember."

"Mine was . . . our anniversary."

"Oh, Liam."

"I've changed it though," he immediately says, directing her thoughts elsewhere.

"To what?"

"The day where it all went wrong."

"Well, you'll never know who it was if you don't look at her phone!"

"A part of me wants to rip the bandaid right off and get it over with, but another part of me doesn't want to know. We've been together since high school. She's all I've ever known, Nessa. It's been comfortable, and I'm afraid I won't know how to do it all over again."

"Change might be scary, but sometimes it's exactly what we need, Liam. I'll help you get through it no matter what happens."

"Shit," he cusses, and she hears the screeching of chairs or tables sliding against hardwood floors. It sounds like he is scrambling. "She's getting out of the shower."

"The phone!" she shouts. "Put the phone back where you found it, Liam!"

"It was just sitting on the kitchen counter. I've got it."

In the background, a doorknob turns and a female voice speaks up. It belongs to the infamous Delilah. "Who were you talking to, babe?"

"Just a friend," Liam mumbles a response. "I've got to go. I'll talk to you later."

As the line shuts off, Nessa can't help but wonder how such a sweet and soft voice can belong to someone who is capable of shattering Liam's heart a thousand times over.