Chapter 6

Was this a sick joke? What on earth would possess him to say something like this?

“Paul, I don’t think this is a good idea—”

“Hear me out, Monica. I know that we got off on the wrong foot at Hazel’s wedding, and I’m sorry about that.”

“I accept your apology,” I answered.

“And technically, I’m no longer supervising you, since you’re working directly with Eloisa. And my parents already like you, so there’s no problem with getting their approval.”

And this must be the part of the conversation where he tells me to fall in love with him.

“Just a few dates,” he insisted. “We’ll keep it neutral.”

“What do you mean by ‘neutral’?”

““Well, for one thing, your branch needs better tableware.”

“Tableware?”

“I promised Eloisa that I would pick up the plates and stuff that we ordered at the restaurant supply store.”

I could hear Tita Violet’s voice in my head, raising questions about his manliness based on his taste in fine china.  

“And I have tickets to this year’s celebrity soccer game.”

“That’s quite public, don’t you think?”

“We’re going to be with friends,” he said. “Sean’s going to be there, too.”

“Sean?”

“We have mutual friends from school, Monica. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.”

“It might run late.”

“Like I said, you’ll be with friends.”

He did have a point.

“And there’s an indie movie festival coming up.”

“We’re going to the movies?”

“Just one movie,” he answered. “One of our cousins did the musical score for a comedy that’s showing at the festival.” Seeing the concern on my face, he added, “I booked the tickets for a matinee show. Mom was supposed to come along with me, but she thinks the movie is too bawdy for her.”

Wonderful.

“Three dates,” he said again. “I can talk to your Tita Violet, if you want.”

“I can bring her over to the store. You can explain everything.”

He smiled—or at least it looked like a smile, since his mouth kind of curved up a little bit.

“So you will go out with me?”

I nodded.

“Good,” he answered. “Tell your Tita Violet that I will meet her here before we pick up the plates.”

“Can she bring George?”

“No.”

“But nobody will take care of him if she goes alone.”

He shrugged. “All right, but keep him on a leash, okay? I don’t want any dogs to slobber all over me.”

Just then, Eloisa entered the kitchen.

“Paul,” she said, “I thought you were going to bring the ovens in next week.”

“We have to measure the kitchen space, remember?” He then glanced at my direction. “Besides, Monica and I are going to pick up our tableware.”

“Why can’t I pick up the tableware with you, Kuya?”

“Because somebody has to supervise the renovations at this branch, that’s why.”

She raised an eyebrow at him. “This isn’t a date, is it?”

“Actually,” I protested, “Paul thought it would be a good idea to—”

“Take her, then,” she answered. “I can consult with you later for the rest.”

“Good,” Paul said to her. “I will meet up with Monica and Violet here at the branch, and then we can go together.”

“You won’t be picking her up at her house?” Eloisa asked.

“No need, Eloisa. Besides, I don’t know where she lives.”

Please, Paul, I thought. Don’t even think about going there. “I will meet you here, Paul.”

“Good.”

“So that’s it?” Eloisa asked a few hours later. “You’re going to the supply store with him?”

“And the celebrity soccer game, and the indie movie that your cousin worked on for the film festival.”

She sighed. “He doesn’t play soccer, and he doesn’t like movies.”

“I know. They sound more like outings than dates to me.”

“And you just agreed to go with him anyway?”

“He said that Sean was going to be at the soccer game, too.”

“Probably with their mutual friends. Paul knows people who went to school with Sean.”

I handed her a bottle of water, without prompting. “So, do you think this will work?”

“I don’t know,” she said, taking a sip. “But if this is his concept of ‘neutral,’ then I don’t see why this shouldn’t work.”