Chapter 5 - New Horizons

The next morning, Mia woke up disoriented and with a pounding headache. Had last night really happened? She had fallen asleep almost immediately after her conversation with Leo. Must have been all the adrenaline rush. She glanced at the clock next to her bed suddenly remembering it was Friday. 8:20am. Better hurry up.

She jumped in the shower and noticed a few bruises on her arms and legs. Unfortunately, it had been real. Very real. After inspecting them for a few moments, she decided it was best to not look at them and quickly got out of the shower and toweled.

She looked in the mirror and couldn't recognize the reflection she saw. She looked like a train wreck. Her light brown eyes seemed too excited, her face was pale white, and her expression was somber. Her usual straight dirty blond hair was an absolute mess of tangled knots. But what bothered her the most was a huge scar crossing her left cheek.

Great. Last thing I need is people asking questions, she thought.

She didn't want anyone finding out about what happened, and she certainly didn't want to be the center of attention or any gossip. She pulled out a bag from the vanity and found some concealer hidden at the bottom. She hardly ever wore makeup but today was going to be one of those necessary occasions.

She quickly finished dressing and ran out of her apartment building, only to freeze at the glorious sight in front of her.

"Good morning, sunshine." Leo was casually standing in front of his dark blue Peugeot Coupe, leaning back on the door with his arms folded, looking like the James Dean picture on the notebook in her bag, sans the leather jacket. It had been the cheapest one she found at the store and couldn't help buying it when she had come across it.

"Leo, what are you doing here?" She tried to keep her tone casual, but instantly recognized it was a pitch higher than usual. I hope he didn't notice that, she thought to herself.

She refocused on the enticing image in front of her, trying to remain calm.

"I thought I'd give you a ride to school. Didn't want to see someone trying to abduct you or something. Qué dices?"

Mia started to mumble. "I...uh...don't think something like that is quite possible two days in a row, but I guess I better not take my chances."

"My thoughts exactly. Shall we?" Leo escorted her to the other side of the car and opened the door for her. With one hand he motioned for her to get in. "Your carriage awaits señorita."

Could he be any dreamier?

As Mia sat down taking in her surroundings, she noticed two cups of coffee set in the cup holder next to her. The aroma emitting from them could not have been any sweeter.

Leo soon joined her in the car and started the ignition. "I took the liberty of getting coffee on the way. I hope you like latte's."

"Are you kidding? This is amazing. I'm usually running towards the bus stop in the mornings and getting smushed between strangers. Usually smelly ones, I might add."

Leo chuckled at her comment. "I know what you mean...nothing like a smelly stranger huh?"

"Exactly." Mia settled in the leather seat. She took a sip of her coffee and instantly felt like she was in heaven. "Now this I could get used to," she sighed. "I swear I feel like freaking royalty right now."

Leo chuckled again this time with a slight grin on his face.  "I'm glad you feel that way. But you haven't seen anything yet."

"Ha, ha. I probably sound like a cheap date right now."

"Far from it. But speaking of which, I actually have something for you." Leo pulled into a parking lot near school. How did they get there so fast?