Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter's song: Send my love by Adele

I never got to ask him about it. He got an emergency call and had to leave. He didn't even stop to tell me anything about it. I wasn't sure if he would have. Although, isn't that the sort of things couple do? Ugh. I didn't want to dwell too much with the answer.

Either way, he got the call right after we'd sat down in front of the bonfire. He was telling us how to prepare the fish directly on the bonfire when his phone rang. Several times. At first, he ignored it, but when he excused himself and took it out of his back pocket to silence it, he saw the caller's ID and walked away to take it. Tom took the lead and we finished the fish. I was sprinkling fresh herbs on mine when Bryan reached Tom and pulled him apart. I tried to follow them with my eyes, to no avail.

He never came back.

I don't even know how the hell did he go back home. Or wherever he left.

Tom just said that Bryan had a personal emergency and had to leave. I wanted to ask him more, but after his talk this afternoon, I didn't feel like I should.

After dinner, I checked my phone for a text, message or whatever, but there was nothing.

I tossed around the sleeping bag all night thinking about it.

Where the hell was he? What happened?

The same questions played in my mind through the rest of the weekend, and I couldn't wait to go back home.

The rest of the weekend passed painfully slow. I couldn't play through the rally or do anything because of my hand, and after learning that Monica and Andy were sleeping together, well, it felt weird to be around them.

Thankfully, we took the bus back home the next day after noon. Everyone was drained, but happy at the experience of camping. Everyone but me. I couldn't help but feel as if a gray cloud was hanging above my head all the time.

I was exhausted when the bus finally stopped. "Do you want me to take you home?" Andy turned to me. He'd been adamant to seat by me.

I shook my head. "Thanks. I'll take a cab."

"Come on, Jess. I'll take you." He moved away, stopping the whole line behind us so I could pass. A series of groans were heard across the bus.

"Sorry," I murmured as I hurried to move faster. "You didn't have to hold the line for me," I said a bit annoyed at Andrew, even if he meant well.

"Anything for you, Jess."

Rolling my eyes, I grabbed my backpack. I just want to go home.

Monica stepped out of the bus right at that moment. "Jess, let him take you. You look like a raccoon, chica."

We stared at each other for a moment, a silent conversation flashing through our eyes. She knew that I was worried, that I felt left out, and that I hated it. She tilted her head, and passed an arm around my shoulders. "Get some rest, hun." My shoulders sagged. Exhaling slowly, I nodded.

"I'll see you tomorrow, right?" She squeezed my arm before turning to Andy. "Be nice to her." I smiled. She sounds like a Mom.

Andy pursed his lips, glaring at her. "Yes, Mom."

Ignoring him, she leaned closer to me. "Everything is okay, Jess. Call him."

I pulled away, with a heavy heart. Call him? And what should I say?

Andy got us a cab. The driver was a chit-chatter. He had dark skin and had a heavy Bronx accent, and in the span of twenty minutes, we knew he had three daughters and that they were all in Elementary school.