The Journey : Nightime Nurture

Ash, District 7

Ash leant on his legs and put his head between his knees, exhaling a deep sigh.

He tried to come to terms with what had just happened. The last thing he could remember was his mothers tearful eyes as she carried Ash's younger brother, Caleb on her hip. His fathers final embrace was one he would never forget.

He was in the small living quarters he'd been assigned to within the second train carriage, sitting in the armchair next to the bed.

Ash tried to cling onto the fading memories of home. The scent of pine. His fathers lucky axe that will become his one day. His mothers laugh. His brothers wispy blond hair from his fathers side of the family.

But his recollection was short lived, as prancing down the hallway came came the clip clop of gentle high heels on the velvet carpet.

"Come, come Ashford dear, let's meet your mentors." In distinct Capitol tones.

Savannah trotted in, flinging the door open to reveal herself in an elaborate golden bejewelled wig and a fitted deep blue dress with huge shoulder pads.

Ash hauled himself up and followed behind the escort.

A door slide open into a much larger carriage than before. A long brown mahogany table stretched the full length of the room draped in a lace white tablecloth.

At one end sat a woman in luxurious fabrics. She seemed familiar.

Fawne was seated at the opposing end of the table still in her Reaping gown. As Savannah guided Ash to the chair next to her, her eye contact was fixed on the person at the other end of the table.

It wasn't until he looked for longer, he realised who he was gazing at.

Johanna Mason, the infamous victor of District 7.

Ash turned his head not to meet their gaze while Fawne was doing no so such thing.

She simply stared in awe. From a brief conversation with Ash in the Justice Building, she explained she lived not far from the district centre while he lived on the outskirts.

She had obviously, judging by her reaction, never the victors before or at least not in the flesh.

"What are you looking at." Johanna said acidly, glaring at Fawne.

"Erm ..." Fawne immediately looked at her hands, her hair falling over her face in gentle waves.

Savannah hovvered at one edge of the table awkwardly, running her smooth manicured nails along the carved edges. Finally she broke the silence.

"So, .. Johanna ... , this is Fawne and Ashford."

"I'm fine with just Ash." He chipped in, only to be glared at by Johanna's beady eyes.

There was another equally awkward silence while they all exchanged various glances.

"Now we're all acquainted, lets watch the other Reapings! Isn't it exciting?" Savannah replied.

A section of floral wallpaper vanished to be replaced by a large television screen with a metallic whirr.

The Panem seal stood red on a black background before the first reaping began to play.

Ash ignored it, frustrated and instead left the room, only to cooed at by a disheartened Savannah.

He slammed the bedroom door behind him and pulled a crumpled photograph from his pocket.

Pictured in a classic family pose was his mother seated in a chair, proudly cradling a newly born Caleb. His father stood over them, behind their chair, his right hand firmly planted on his wife's shoulder, the other on a thirteen year old Ash.