six

a/n:
Sorry Arden and Laurent shippers, this chapter isn't one in favor of them. In addition, this book does contain spoilers in regards to the future of Elliot and Archer.

f r e n c h
k i s s e s

"Laurent just might be the one I have been waiting for," I said, the words falling out of my mouth, "but that doesn't change the way I feel about Zac."

In the time I spoke my statement Isla's face lit up with two significantly different emotions, it was as if she was happy at first then disappointed in the next matter of seconds. Isla evidently was a fan of the idea of Laurent and I, however, I had to tell her that sometimes an immediate connection with someone doesn't mean two people are destined to be with one another.

There's something about fate and how the stars align, the stars were seeming to align for Laurent and I, however, Zac and I had history and our future seemed bright. History beats lust, in the long run, every time.

Laurent and I surely had undeniable chemistry, but chemistry isn't enough to sustain a relationship. As Isla said, the spark eventually goes out, leaving a couple in endless denial. If it were to be an alternate universe where Zac and I weren't together, perhaps I would consider going out with Laurent. However, in reality, it wasn't a possibility because I had a man back in America who I loved and who loved me.

"You love Zac deeply don't you?" Isla simply asked, already knowing the answer.

"I do," I said with a bittersweet smile.

* * *

Opening the front door of my apartment to the sight of Laurent Oliver wasn't what I expected after a lovely day out with Isla, confrontation the last thing I wanted to face.

"Laurent," I said with a hint of shock upon seeing his face.

Laurent wore a small smile and had a bouquet of yellow roses with him, standing straight and tall.

"Yellow for friendship, joy, and goodness. I hope you can accept them," Laurent said, holding out the blooming flowers.

I accepted the bouquet and held them tight in my right hand, noticing one white rose.

"One white rose in order to signify a new beginning, I think it would be worth our while if we just restart," he continued, pulling it out of the bouquet and extending it individually.

I smiled and held up the yellow roses.

"Hi, I'm Laurent Oliver and I live a couple blocks away. Welcome to the neighborhood," Laurent introduced, a friendly smile on his face.

He held out the white rose in which I gracefully accepted in the doorway.

"Arden Michaelson, it's my pleasure to meet you," I replied, putting on an equally friendly smile.

We stared at one another with our smiles until he blinked, breaking the eye contact.

"I should get going, I'm supposed to meet my date in fifteen minutes," he stated, turning away from me completely and making his way down the corridor.

I leaned out of the doorway, calling Laurent's name instinctively.

"Laurent, wait."