Chapter 29

Riley took another sip of his coffee, careful not to finish it. As long as he had his cup to focus on he wouldn't have to look up and as long as he didn't make eye contact, no-one was asking any questions. He glanced at his watch and immediately regretted it.

"It's taking too long, isn't it?" Sean said.

"No."

"Don't bullshit us Riley."

"I'm not. There's no particular time that this is going to take."

"You must have some idea."

"Honestly Sean. I don't."

"Why not? A rescue operation means there's a plan. How can you have a plan but have no idea how long it will take?"

"The timing is up to the men on the ground."

"You've never actually said why you aren't one of them?" Felicity's voice was low and harsh.

"Because this isn't a movie. In real life they bench you when the woman you love is the victim." That shut them up but he needed to get out of the room. "I'll go check in."

Riley half expected to hear Sean's footsteps behind him but he made it all the way to the study without being accosted. He shut the door and took a moment to breathe before he called Norton. The fact was the helicopter should have been there by now.

"Duncan," Norton answered. "There's nothing yet. Sorry. I'll call you as soon as there is."

"I know, I just need to feel like I'm doing something. What's going on down there?"

"We're still waiting at the house. There's no telling when they'll turn up, though. They could have decided to lie low until dark, or until tomorrow. It's a waiting game, that's all you can tell them. I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I know."

"Hang on..." Norton's voice trailed off.

"Boss? What's happening?"

"Car's coming. Gotta go."

"Put me on speaker!"

But she was gone. He dialled Koffa but the call was rejected. Rightly so. They needed to focus. "Fuck!"

His phone rang. Koffa.

"What's–"

"Jacking you in. Mute your end."

Riley did as he was told. When he returned the phone to his ear he heard the familiar white noise of radio silence. Thank you Koffa.

"Hold, everyone. Let it through." Torrell's voice. "Not a movement till I give the 'go'. Remember there may be a woman and child in the car. Do not open fire on the car."

Riley closed his eyes, trying not to picture Daisy and Kitty caught in crossfire. He forced himself to picture what he knew of the house and its gardens from the photos in the real estate ad Wemusa had sent through to Henri.

"Hold," Torrell's command. "He's getting out. Hold. Do not let him see you."

More white noise. Riley clenched and unclenched his spare hand.

"Subject is armed. Markarov PB."

"Roger, three-five-zero. Let's see what he does."

The PB was a KGB weapon, a version of the standard Markarov with a silencer.

White noise again. Riley had never noticed how little information really came through the radio during a well-disciplined op.

"Come on," Riley muttered. "Someone tell me what's going on."