Running ghosts isn't new here

After the feast and the very last piece of pie was gone.  We were brought to our dormitories. Hermione and I chatted and laughed as we discussed Hogwarts a History. A few other first years ran up the stairs, having no idea they were moving “Neville!! Stop, there about to change!” Hermione shouted getting awkward looks from the surrounding first years and the prefects. Neville skidded to a halt, as the great staircase changed. “Yes, the staircases do change. So please be careful” said some pompous idiot by the name of Christopher. He sneered at Hermione. She looked down, redness creeping up her neck. I grabbed her hand I we continued to walk up the staircases without incidents. We arrived at the Fat Lady portrait. Christopher stood in front of the group of us, after pushing his glasses up his nose, he informed us the password this week was ‘gloobleball’.Also the password would change every week, but sometimes it didn’t, depending on how the Fat Lady felt. “Least we don’t have to answer a brainteaser every time we want to come into the common room” smiled Neville “I’d be out there for most of the days, I’d have to make a bed in the corridors instead.” I laughed, walking over to the notice board that the other prefect not Christopher had conjured up. It had the names of the girls and boys and what dorm they were in. I heard Harry and Ron high-fiving each other, so I guessed they were in the same dorm. I glanced down the list of names delighted to see I was in the same dorm with Hermione. I turned around “Hey, roommate” Hermione beamed “That’s really good, how many people are to a room? It can’t be just us?” She ran her finger down the rough parchments. “It seems were also sharing a dorm with two other girls...ehm...Parvati Patil and Lavender Brown. Oh, they were the two girls with the pink bows in their hair.” “Seem nice enough, but I guess we’ll find out while we’re sharing the room with them .Let’s hope for now drama!” I replied to Hermione. Christopher and the other prefect, the tall one told us to get to bed, our trunks were already in the room. Agitated and excited Hermione and I raced to our dorms up the stairs that would turn into a slide if any of the boys decided to go up the stairs. We panted as we finally relaxed, our trunks were each next to a bed, mine was at the on near the window and Hermione’s bed was next to mine. I was quite happy with the sleeping arrangement as was Hermione. “It’s nice isn’t it, I just wonder how they got our cases up here..?” said Hermione with a thoughtful expression on her face. We heard giggling outside the door of our dorm. “Must be Lavender and Parvati” Making a face at Hermione. They two then entered the room, laughing like hyenas. Lavender glanced around the room, her eyes zeroing in on my bed where Hermione and I were seated. “Why are you sitting on my bed?!” she demanded. “Why in the world, would I, sit on your bed. Clearly it’s mine.” I was easily getting frustrated as she shot Hermione a sneer. “Your bed is that one” I said pointing to the bed closest to the door. “I’m guessing your case is the one with Lavender written on it, since that is your name.” “Yes, that is my case” she said with a terribly unattractive look on her face. Hermione turned and looked at her “Well that’s your bed, now if it’s not too much trouble. Please be quite. I’d like to get some sleep before the first day of classes” said Hermione, stretching as she climbed off my bed. Lavender spluttered, not knowing how to respond, Parvati stood behind her, with her hand covering the big smile on her face. She then went to her trunk and then got into her bed. It was the one closest to the door. She smiled at me as she did so. “I’ll wake you up in the morning Lyssa” “Thanks Hermione” I quickly went to change from my robes to more appropriate nightwear. I was slowly getting more tired as I put on my pyjamas. I crept to my bed and slept peacefully.

I was slowly roused from my sleep by a bright light coming through the window. I could hear someone walk over to my bed “Lyssa, get up, we’ll be late for breakfast.” I opened my eyes slowly and yawned, bursting out laughing as I saw how Hermione’s hair looked in the mornings. “Your hair amuses me.” She grabbed a strand, looked at it, then laughed with me. “I’ll fix it, but get up. I wanna eat.” My stomach then decided to imitate a whale’s mating call. “And from the sound of it so do you.” I rolled over on my side, stretching my sore limbs. “Get up!” shouted Hermione throwing one of her pillows at me. I pulled the covers off me and picked up the pillow and flung it at Hermione’s back treating figure, giggling. She turned around and gave me a look. I looked at the bed; it seemed I was the last one up. “Where are the other ones?” I asked indicating my thumb to the two empty beds. “There in the bathroom and I think they’re gonna be in there awhile.” “Okiee dokiee arterchoky” I grabbed a towel and headed for the showers.

I casually walked to the showering room when I heard the other two girls in the bathroom. I heard my name being mentioned so I put my  back against the wall and listened. I’d make an awesome ninja I thought to myself. “Well my father said she comes from a poor background, he wouldn’t even discuss it with me so it must be bad” sniggered Lavender. “My mother said in her letter that there was no one with the surname Dragon heart when she or father attended school, so more than likely her parents didn’t go here. She doesn’t talk about her family or parents. Maybe she doesn’t have any Lav” said Parvarti pity creeping into her voice. “Of course she has parents you nitwit, everybody does. Facts of life..duh!” I could just imagine Lavenders eye roll as she said that.

I didn’t want to hear any more so I creeped across the hall and headed into the shower room careful to not make any sound. Why were they discussing me in their letters to their parents I wondered, and what did Lavender mean poor background? She couldn’t know where she came from before she came to Hogwarts. I breathed in deeply as I started to panic. I slowed my heartbeat down and breathed a sigh of relief. I turned the water on, feeling very grateful for the magically hot water this early in the morning. It must be the house elves who heat up the water in the morning. Rambless thoughts echoed around my head as I tried to forget the conversation I had accidentally on purpose heard. I hurriedly scrubbed my body and hopped out of the shower towelling my hair dry as I realized id spent too long in the shower I haphazardly draped the towel around my soaked body and ran down the small hall that linked our bedrooms to our own private cleaning facilities. I glanced in the bathroom seeing all Lavender’s and Parvati’s cosmetics strewn across the bathrooms cabinets. I quickly threw my uniform on not even bothering to fix my tie, I threw my hair in a lazy bun. I put on some strawberry lip balm and ran down to breakfast. I circled and rounded the corners and ran down the stairs before they could change. On the last staircase before I reached the great hall I slipped on a puddle of water. I stood up and looked at my uniform. The entire front of it was soaked. I heard cackling about my head so I looked up to see Peeves grinning maliciously at me. “Nice uniform Lyssy baby” he crooned batting his lashes. “Peeves? Why the hell would you do that, I’m really late for breakfast and I’m starving” At those words Peeves looked at a spot just above my shoulder and ran away (do ghosts even run?) I slowly turned around and I saw Christopher. “’I’m guessing Peeves did that to your uniform?” he questioned a sly smirk on his face. “Nunng” I composed myself before trying to speak actual English again. “No, I just happen to like it this way” I responded grinning inwardly at my wittiness. “Pretty funny for a first year, but honestly the uniform will get points taken from the house.” He raised his wand and pointed it directly at me. I flinched. I felt a cooling sensation come over me just as I had opened my mouth to scream. I looked down at myself in confusion. The entire front of my uniform was dry. “How did you do that?” I asked secretly glad I wasn’t literally swimming in my uniform. “Sixth year magic” he smiled and took a step closer to me. He looked at me from head to toe, smiled, and then he placed his hand on my neck. Slowly stroking the nape of my neck. I froze not really knowing what to do. Then he grabbed my tie that was just hanging off my right shoulder and he tied it around my neck. “Your tie was pretty bad too.” He patted his work before moving away from me. “By the way there’s only ten minutes left for breakfast, oh and your welcome. “He walked away and through the hall. I finally regained my common sense and shouted thanks at his retreating figure. I then ran in the great hall and spotted Hermione sitting by herself at the Gryffindor table. I sat beside her and grabbed some toast and buttering it. “Hey there Hermione!” “Where were You Lyss I was worried?!” she all but screeched at me. I swore I saw a tendril of her brown, curly hair twitch. “My shower ran a little long and I bumped into peeves.” I smiled a little thinking back to Christopher helping me. He may be a prat, but he was a nice prat, I guess. “What happened with Peeves?” “Oh nothing he just threw some insults and I threw some back...” I felt a bit weird about telling Hermione about how Peeves tripped me up and the mess it made of my uniform, then I’d have to tell her about Christopher. For some reason I didn’t want to do that. Hermione and I got into the usual chatter that I’ve come to expect the last few days I’ve gotten to know her. Mostly it was about what books she had read and what she hopes her classes are like. I lost interest in what she was rambling about, so I let my eyes wander the hall. They landed on two giggling red headed boys sitting together. It was Fred and George. They both stood up and came over to me beaming. “So how’s your first day so far little munchkin?” asked Fred “It’s good now I’ve eaten.”               I replied helping myself to more toast this time with marmalade on it. George looked over my shoulder and they both noticed Hermione sat next to me. “Well how-“ “-do you do­” “Milady?” they both spoke simitaniosuly.  After some conversation between the twins and Hermione where they both tried and succeed to confuse their identities. The two boys walked us to class. All thoughts of Peeves and Christopher gone from my mind.