Lesley was born and raised in Houston, Texas. She grew up in a family of love. Her aunts and uncles regularly took care of her, taking her to school, dance and constantly caring for her and her sisters. Her Uncle Darryl and Uncle Larry were together since before she was born; so, although Uncle Larry was not technically an in-law, he was as much a part of the family as any blood relative. “He was at every Easter, Christmas, Halloween and birthday. He was my babysitter, my playmate and my favorite companion.” They had a special bond; she was a hyperactive child, and he seemed to be the only one who could calm her down. 

Uncle Larry died of AIDS when Lesley was six years old. Her memories of him are quite vivid: an Easter egg hunt, picking her up early from day care, him reading her a story before bedtime. Unfortunately, though, most of her memories of him conjure images of his days in the hospital, lying in bed too weak to talk or open his eyes. At the time this six year-old did not know what AIDS was or why he was dying. At her age the idea of death was still an abstract notion of being asleep forever and going to a cloud-filled heaven. All she really knew was that her Uncle Larry was not going to get better.  At the end of his life, Lesley was not allowed to sit near her uncle’s hospital bed because his immune system was so weak it could not fight off even the most trivial infection.

“It is shocking and appalling that 20 years after the start of the epidemic my Uncle Larry still died a painful and slow death. It is equally shocking and appalling that 15 years after my uncle’s death, men, women and children around the world still die as if there are no interventions, medications or knowledge of the disease.  Some have this notion that HIV/AIDS is ‘over there’, but it affects millions domestically as well. Politics kept America from taking HIV/AIDS seriously because of the social groups it initially affected. Therefore, it spread like wildfire. Those who are not protected and respected in a society run the risk of being misrepresented and mistreated by our political system, if they’re noticed at all.”

Lesley’s Uncle Darryl, devastated by Larry’s death, now fought the disease himself with an aggressive drug cocktail. The cocktail damaged his brain, and he could no longer work. “He is now and will always be on Medicaid. Even if Uncle Darryl could work, he would not be able to afford his medication without Medicaid. The treatment has always been hard on my Uncle’s body and has regularly altered his mood and attitude towards life.”

Lesley was the childconstantly interrupting teachers for using homophobic language and students for making fun of the disease that had done permanent damage to her family, occurrences which were all too common in Texas at that time. “My Uncle Darryl is a second father to me. He has been to every recital, every award ceremony and has helped me through quite a few heartaches.” He reminds her of how, after tragedy, life goes on. He is the strongest man she knows and hopes to one day be as kind and caring as he is. 

Ayear into her college career at the University of Texas, Austin, Lesley joined FACE AIDS, a non-profit organization that mobilizes students in the fight to end AIDS. The UT chapter is currently raising $8,000 to provide 19 HIV- exposed Rwandan infants with baby formula. FACE AIDS has allowed her to fight for those who can no longer fight, speak out for those who are silenced and keep her Uncle Larry’s memory alive by dedicating her life to eradicating the disease that causes suffering and pain to its victims and their families as it did to hers.

She will always carry the memory of her uncle in her heart and will always tell his story to anyone who will listen, because the fight is far from over. “We have made huge strides towards bettering the lives of those affected by HIV/AIDS and lessening the risk of infection; but as long as there is inequality and prejudice in the world, we must continue fighting. We must have the same amount of compassion for those far away and those here and use that compassion to change the world.” That is Lesley’s motto and why she continues to face and fight AIDS. 

 Elizabeth Taylor’s grandson Quinn Tivey, and Joel Goldman, Managing Director of The Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation, met Lesley Zimmer when each presented a keynote speech at the 2013 FACE AIDS National Conference held at Northeastern University in Boston.   Both FACE AIDS and The Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation look to engage young people in the fight against AIDS.  FACE AIDS has worked on more than 200 high schools and college campuses.  If you are interested in starting a chapter at your school visit www.faceaids.org.  You can also learn more about getting involved in the fight against HIV/AIDS at www.ETAF.org, or by downloading the free Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation app on iPhone, android, or tablet.