Chapter 7: If it's Not Mr. Psycho

The next day, I expected wolves to pounce on me the moment I arrived at school. But to my disappointment, it was all the same. At least for me. Nobody cared. Nobody looked at me, except only to stare at me evilly.

When I entered the Junior Section A classroom, I was looking forward to a bucket of paint to fall onto my head or a foot to trip me off my feet. But nothing. Not even Molly who was cramming to do the first period’s homework at her desk afforded with me with so much as a glance. It was unlikely of her not to do it at home. It was more like me, but last night I did my homework. Noah was making a good influence on me, I guess.

Speaking of Noah, he was not in the classroom. Last night he told me that he would be attending a photo shoot out of town. Somehow, I felt abandoned, but he promised he would meet me after school, and it was enough reason for me to get up and get dressed.

First period came and went, then second, and then third, and so on. I didn’t know what had been taught and what I was supposed to learn, but I didn’t gain any new knowledge. All day I spent thinking of Noah and our time together at the lake. His face was etched in my brain. He was there, together with a memory that wouldn’t fade. He was right. I really hoped our relationship was like the flower.

“Aye, aye, Captain!” one of the CMT people shouted a distance away from my ear. If I was alone when this group of CMT people appeared in the hallway, I would have shouted back at them to just shut up. But Molly was with me, looking totally prim and proper with a pink headband she said she had ordered online.

One look at my best friend told me she wasn’t in for anything daring, except wearing the pink headband. She has a permanent pout on her face and she was easily pissed.

“Why is it so important that you get in there?” she continued, folding her hands in front of her.

She meant the library.

“I just need to check out a book,” I said. “For Ms. Minchin,” I added.

She snickered. “A book? Have you ever heard of Google?”

So Molly just Googled everything? That was it? I would be damned. I didn’t want to argue so I just decided to just save words, and kept quiet, walking faster to reach the library ahead of her.

Then, startlingly, she released her arms from its fold. “Oh, well, if it’s not Mr. Psycho,” she sing-songed.

I stopped, looking up just in time to come face-to-face with my ex-boyfriend. Oh, my God. My heart and my mind were in haywire. I heard him say my name. My heart stopped. I swallowed hard several times and I felt my mouth go dry. My hands were shaking. “What do you want?” I managed to say.

He turned to look at Molly, probably noticing her presence for the first time. “I’m on my way home,” he decided to say.

My heart was really beating fast now, but I wanted to think that it was more out of nervousness than anything. “It’s not an answer to my question,” I braved myself to say.

“No.” It was more a question than an answer.

“No,” I repeated harshly.

“I didn’t mean to bump onto you if that’s what you think.”

“Actually, I don’t know what to think of you anymore.”

He looked surprised. “If this is about what happened before—”

“It’s not about before, Henry. It’s about today, and I don’t think I like what you are doing.” I suddenly wanted to give myself a high-five and praise my bravery.