Chapter 14

Sylvia's struggles faded briefly as she sat there, absolutely stunned by the sudden turn of events. Keil took her momentary stillness as an opportunity to pull her against his chest in a tight embrace, his lips still firm against hers in a new and frightening kiss. She watched the scene anxiously, unsure of how to react. Keil on the other hand, seemed to have no such worries and even looked to be enjoying himself. He quickly took one arm away, lacing his hand through her hair gently.

Sylvia stood there in his embrace quietly, taking in all the powerful sensations fighting to overwhelm her. She was completely torn between feelings of apprehension and excitement. This kiss was elating, yet it felt so dangerous. It made her want to blush and scream at the same time! She just had no idea what to do, or how to react. She was angry, hurt, scared, and even a little numb. The last time a man had touched her this way was when she had been married, though even those good memories had been tainted by the past. So, to be held this way again, and by a mere foreigner she had saved? A complete stranger, one who had refused to let her leave moments ago? A man whom she could never understand the intentions or trustworthiness of?

No, never again.

In an instant Sylvia regained her senses and tried to push herself free from Keil and his remaining arm, the reality of her situation sinking in and focusing her mind. However, his hold was still quite strong and barely allowed for any movement on her end, despite earnest endeavors. She persisted for release again, but his grip only tightened, nearly squeezing her so tight that it hurt. Sylvia felt a panic rising in her chest. She fought against Keil fervently, desperate for release and freedom. After a moment he finally noticed her struggles and pulled his face back to look at hers. His eyes were bright with excitement and adrenaline, gazing at her resistance with pure annoyance.

"Let go of me right now!" She demanded breathlessly.

Keil's face was emotionless for a moment as his eyes weighed the options before him.

"Keil. Let. Go," She commanded.

His fiery eyes narrowed, still lost in his examination of her. Then his gaze hardened with determination and he shook his head in clear refusal.

"What do you think you are doing!?" Sylvia hissed.

He clenched his jaw in anger and squeezed her arms a little tighter, making sure his hold was still firm. Her mind raced for a way out of this all too frightening encounter, but before Keil could do anything further something in his eyes changed. They became anxious, and he suddenly turned around to survey the area behind them cautiously, looking for some sort of unidentified threat.

"Let me go!" She protested again, wriggling around anxiously.

"Shhh!" Keil snapped, listening intently to something nearby.

Sylvia felt the goosebumps rising on her neck. She was not likely to get another opportunity like this for escape, so she simply could not let it pass. Without hesitation she slipped one of her hands free and dug her fingers into one of his wounds. He let out a loud shout of pain and lost his hold on her, and when he did, she shoved him backwards and took her chance to run away from his reach.

"HELP!" She shouted to anyone who might hear.

"Sylvia!" Keil roared, following close on her heels.

Sylvia ran back towards the direction of town with all her might, nearly wishing for a patrol guard to find them and rescue her! Unfortunately, it only took a few seconds for him to catch up and grab her from behind. She let out another scream and kicked at his legs as he clamped one hand over her mouth and squeezed the other around her torso, pulling her back into his arms.

"Shhhh!" He hissed.

Sylvia only increased her volume and tried desperately to bite his hand away, but a sudden rumbling sound, like that of a large bear, instantly silenced her.

"Shhh!" Keil repeated, his heart beating anxiously against her back.

The two of them looked around the area carefully, the deep growl growing ever louder with each passing second.

"Finna!" Keil said with a warning in his tone.

Sylvia surveyed the forest around them nervously, wondering what kind of beast could possibly produce such a terrifying noise. Keil carefully let her out of his arms and positioned himself in front of her as he began to back up, motioning for her to follow his lead. She let out a nervous whimper as he backed her up to a tree. Then there came a loud crack in the treetops, causing hundreds of leaves to fall down from above.

What on earth could get up there!?

Sylvia gazed up, surprised to see a gigantic shadow cast among the trees.

"FINNA NYO!" (FINNA STOP!) Keil called out at the beast.

Sylvia let her fear guide her body as she dashed out from behind him and broke into a sprint, desperate to get away from the monster.

"Tiah!" (Wait!) He shouted after her.

She shook her head but turned back to him briefly, noticing an imaginably large monster land from the treetops near where Keil was. It was a deep red color, scaly like a snake, with large wings like that of a bat. It was a hideous and barbaric creature that sent shivers down her spine. Sylvia stopped dead in her tracks, frozen with fear, unable to make her body move or her voice call for help.

"Ban Finna!" (No Finna!) Keil roared.

The monster however, ignored him completely and came bounding towards her. That is when Sylvia felt her breath catch as she fell back, fainting on the ground.