13 - He won't take no for an answer

I wanted to punch myself in the face.

Okay, not really.

With my sole focus on the exhibition, I had totally forgotten about the stupid traffic ticket. Tomorrow was approaching fast and I had no idea how I was going to get my tail light fixed, bring the receipt for officer Gonzales to sign, and go to court to dismiss the ticket. All in that order.

I also had a checkup at the doctor's office tomorrow to check for STD's. I really didn't want to take any chances. God knows, Olga probably didn't know what a condom was or that they even existed.

"This is amazing, Debs. The amount of people in here is insane." Addison's voice snapped me out of the gloomy scenarios circling my mind like vultures over dead prey. Like what if Drake had given me herpes or something?

I suddenly felt hot and bothered. It was almost eleven o'clock and most of the people were still milling around, talking to old friends while they sipped on wine. I spotted Trystan and his mom getting ready to leave and I wanted to follow them out the door. I wasn't a people person and right now my social battery was running on empty.

Addison introduced me to Greg, who was kind and soft spoken, nothing at all like Addison's exes. Greg then went on to introduce me to officer Gonzales, whom I already knew.

"Officer Gonzales," I said politely, shaking his hand.

"Lovely exhibition, miss Ames." He smiled, dimples showing.

"Thank you. How do you feel about making a deal with me?"

Dark eyebrows shot up. "It depends on the deal."

I smirked. "Drop the ticket and I'll give you one of my paintings. Choose one and it's yours."

Gonzales sent a nervous glance toward Greg and Addison. He scratched his beard and then stuck both of his hands in his pockets. "Your talent is incredible, miss Ames, but my answer is no deal. I don't take bribes. I told you the procedure, you either pay the fine or you fix your lights and get the ticket dismissed in court."

His no-nonsense tone sent a tingle down my spine. Goodness, I was a sucker for a man who was no pushover. Even when I had secretly hoped he would have taken the deal, I felt like I respected him more now for not taking it.

I nodded and smiled. "I had to try."

"Did you bring your ticket to another officer to sign?" He sounded slightly disappointed.

"Uh no, I'll have it on your desk tomorrow bright and early. I didn't really get a chance... the exhibition and all."

"That's okay, come by tomorrow between seven and ten. I'll be at the office then," Gonzales said.

Seven and ten? That was way too early. I supposed if I tried really hard I could get the tail light fixed before ten. Or, I could try to convince officer Gonzales to write me a new ticket with a later deadline. Or maybe not. As it were, I'd pissed him off enough by trying to bribe him.

I studied his face, trying to read him. He looked different off duty, less formidable. His thick hair was gelled back away from his forehead and two small diamond studs adorned his ears. The black suit he wore hugged his muscular frame. He had his left hand in his pocket, his stance wide, dark eyes piercing mine.