A fairy's trap

When all the flowers, bugs, and leaves scattered, they could take a better look at the fairy. For that was a flesh and bone fairy. Right in front of them, watching them without even blinking.

She didn't look older than a fifteen-year-old girl. Her hair, the color of the fire flames on a cold winter's night, was falling all the way to the ground. Her skin was pristine white as if made of the purest snow. But what captured their attention were her eyes—enormous eyes of the most unusual color, as if the sky and forest were captured inside her sharp glance. Her long, spiderweb-like eyelashes were trembling with every blink; she was wearing the most delicate dress made of air.

 Her long, spiderweb-like eyelashes were trembling with every blink; she was wearing the most delicate dress made of air

The fairy floated, as light as a feather, then she slowly descended. She seemed really happy to see Ferry.

"You're here! I can't believe you're here!" she said. Her voice was clear and sweet like the voice of a little girl.

Ferry and Matilda were standing stock-still.

"Excuse me, but do I know you?" Ferry asked after a few moments of amazement.

The fairy laughed. A burst of jolly, spunky laughter, able to chase away the fear they felt when they first saw her.

"Of course you know me, fairy-boy," she said. "Don't you remember me?"

And she danced, as light as a feather, bouncing and gently waving her hands as if caressing the wind. Then, she began singing a song. That little song Ferry had heard so many times before. The one that kept him awake at night; the same that he would hear when least expected. But now he could finally understand it.

Come along, you fairy-boy,

When the sun is gone to sleep.

Come and sing, and feel the joy,

Where the forest is too deep.

"YOU!" he almost shouted, shaken by a shiver. "You were the one singing this song all along! Who are you?"

The fairy took a small courtesy, "Well, it seems like you don't remember me. My name is Oona and I've known you for a reeeally long time. You were just a small child when I first met you. A fairy-boy. The cutest, sweetest I've ever seen."

"But how come I don't remember you?"

The fairy blinked. "Well, it must be because you grew up among humans. You see, up until the age of three, the human babies can actually see us, the fairies; then, they grow up and they can't see us anymore. And it was the same as you. You spent so much time among humans, that you almost became one of them. Almost." Then she gave them the biggest smile. "Have a seat," she said, pointing to the gigantic, decorated mushrooms nearby. "We have a lot to talk."

This time, Matilda couldn't help but interfere, "We're sorry but we're in a big hurry," she said, intending to carry on.

"Nobody asked you, Matilda!" the fairy hissed, and her look darkened as if storm clouds would've covered the serene blue of her eyes. "Besides, you're an Unfay. You are forbidy-forbidden to decide in fairyland."