Chapter 29

"Aye, ye crush it, like so," he murmurs softly as I roll the thick piece of wood over the purple pieces of lavender. "Crush until it's left in wee pieces."

"And then what?" I ask, glancing up at him. He's without a shirt, dressed in only his plaid and boots. I watch his hands dip into the cold water before he rests his palms over onto the back of his neck, where his shoulders meet his throat.

He rubs slowly, closing his eyes. His breath escapes his lips, as if the feeling were a relief. "Then, ye find oil, pour the contents together and let the sun do the rest of the work."

"Are you feeling okay?" I murmur, setting down the bowl slowly. He smiles softly when I approach him, touching his face. "You're hot."

"Aye, I'm running a slight fever... It's normal. I just- think I'll lie down," he says, kissing my lips lightly. I nod, awkwardly as he moves around me, setting onto the bed. When he reaches for his boots, I bend down, stopping his fumbling fingers.

"It's been days and you've been fine... Why are you spiking a fever now?" I ask gently, removing the boots one by one.

"I'll be right by tonight. Dinna fash. As I told ye, this is usual."

"Callan-"

He smiles, touching my face lightly. "Ye worry too much. Come lie with me."

I straighten, blinking stupidly as he settles back onto the small headboard, closing his eyes. I stare at him for mere moments, as he falls asleep without knowing it.

...

Removing my palm with relief, he smiles sleepily. "Aye, told ye I'd be fine."

I glance at him, smirking softly, failing to hide how nervous I've been. "Yeah, well there's no harm in being extra cautious... In my time, there would be IV's that would keep the fevers away. It wouldn't always be so... life-threatening."

"IV's?" He sits up against the headboard. "I've never heard of them."

"They haven't been invented yet... at least I don't think so. It's a needle that goes into your skin, and can release medicines-fluids into your blood system."

"Straight into the veins?" He looks so awed that I can't help but chuckle.

"Yes."

"How long would it take for the medicine to set in? Probably no time at all."

"You're right. It would set in immediately."

His hand combs through his hair in disbelief. "Mo thighearna, that is interesting."

I lean against the table, gliding my fingers over the wood as he stands, reaching for the plaid rested on the chair. There's nothing in the move that should stand out as extraordinary but my heart leaps an inch further than usual as he dresses, shaking his head to himself in amazement.

He looks up, putting his belt into place and stands. "I've been wonderin' something."

"And what is that?" I hum, unabashedly staring.

"Well, ye said ye came here by a magical dust- that is what ye said?"

"Yes, from a stone."

"Aye, and ye told me the story of the lovers- that went to the place to find it."

My hands freeze. "Yes..."

"Well, do ye ken if Greer and her husband have the entirety of the stone? Why did ye never try to find the remainder of the dust?"