Chapter Ninety-seven:

FLASHBACK:

"So here's the part where you make a choice:" Buffy declared, addressing a living room full of Potentials and her friends. "What if you could have that power... Now? In every generation, one slayer is born... Because a bunch of men who died thousands of years ago made up that rule. They were powerful men. This woman," She pointed at Willow, "is more powerful than all of them combined. So I say we change the rule. I say my power... Should be our power. Tomorrow, Willow will use the essence of the scythe to change our destiny. From now on, every girl in the world who might be a Slayer... Will be a Slayer. Every girl who could have the power... Will have the power. Can stand up, will stand up. Slayers... Every one of us. Make your choice. Are you ready to be strong?"

PRESENT:

Vi, Rona, and Amanda closed their eyes, inhaling sharply.

The Turok-Han charged towards their meagre army as they stood on the cliff's edge, waiting for battle.

Vi opened her eyes, her mouth twisting into a confident smirk and her eyes flashing with a ferocity she had never known before. "These guys are dust."

In one fluid motion, Hel flung off her hooded black cloak to reveal her favourite armour. A black leather vest was layered over her silvery grey tunic and snugly laced at the back. Strips of leather wrapped around her arms, from her shoulders to her wrists. Silver vambraces on her forearms. Fitted, black leather trousers and knee-high black leather boots. She'd inherited her father's taste in fashion, that's for sure.

Widening her knees into a defensive stance, Hel conjured her broadsword. Her knuckles paled as her grip on the golden hilt tightened. A cunning smirk accompanied the wicked glint in her eyes. "Hello, boys."

The Turok-Han army rushed forth. Buffy, Faith and Spike fought them off with kicks and punches, while the Potentials made use of their newfound strength. Vi jumped and swung a kick, felling a Turok-Han. Rona punched one in the face, knocking it down. Amanda impaled one through the heart with her stake. Vi beheaded another Turok-Han with her sword.

The swarm of primitive vampires began to out number them. Kennedy appeared at the entrance of the cavern, sprinting directly into the battle carrying the scythe. "Buffy! Catch!" She threw the scythe to Buffy.

Buffy caught it, now capable of slaying Turok-Han faster than before, dusting one after another in mere seconds.

A Turok-Han launched itself at Kennedy, but she fended it off with ease. "I could get used to this." She remarked, grinning.

The battle was going well, as they were able to keep up with the endless number of Turok-Han coming for them. As their numbers increased, some of the Turok-Han slipped past their line of defence and up into the school.

In the middle of fighting off Turok-Han alongside the others, Spike suddenly stumbled backward and stared down at the amulet resting against his chest. It was glowing a bright, golden yellow, its luminosity increasing with each passing second. He touched the crystal centre, but quickly withdrew his hand as it was consequently burned. "Buffy! Whatever this thing does, I think it's—" Spike broke off, wincing and moaning in pain.

Not hearing him, Buffy called out to the girls. "Keep the line together! Drive them to the edge! We can't let them do—" Suddenly, Buffy lowered her gaze to discover the end of a bloody blade protruding from her abdomen. She staggered forward and collapsed to the ground, face-first.

Noticing Buffy on the ground, Faith ran to her side. "Buffy!"

Leaning up on her elbows, Buffy met her eyes. "Hold the line." She ordered weakly, offering her the scythe.