Chapter 3: Surprises

Hey everyone :D

I'm really enjoying writing this - hence the speedy uploads, so i hope you like this chapter! 

please VOTE COMMENT FAN :) the best thing for me is hearing what you all think, it means so much to me!!

Enjoy xx

*****

The shrill ring of the bell signalling the end of the day echoed through the school, as everyone around me slip their books off their desks and trailed out the classroom. I looked at the sheet of paper on my desk, still blank, and realised I hadn’t listened to a word Mrs.Valdez had said. Instead I’d been completely preoccupied with the way Justin had looked at me, hot and intense. Then before I knew it he’d left practice, jumped into his car, and sped out the parking lot. At least, that’s what Jake had told me.

Kara waited for me at the door, leafing through the pages of her biology textbook, glancing up when I approached her.

“Ready to go?” I asked her, shouldering my satchel as we merged into the stream of students in the hallway.

She stopped me, putting one hand on the curve of my elbow as she pulled me to a halt “Actually, I wanted to run something by you.”

“Shoot.”

She nervously curled a lock of red hair around her finger, and immediately my interest peaked. “Kara, what’s up?”

She put both her hands up and surrendered “Parks you can totally say no to this okay? It’s not a big deal or anything.”

I cocked my head to the side and gave her a wry smile “Spit it out.”

“Jake asked me to tutor him after school today!” She exploded, a grin blossoming on her face, as her cheeks reddened.

“That’s awesome Kara, you should!”

She shook her head at me “But I promised you a ride home.”

I waved a hand airily at her “I’ll walk, it’s a nice day.”

“I’m ditching you though. I’m a bitch.”

I rolled my eyes “You are not. Now go you hussy before I change my mind.”

She laughed, pulling me into a hug “Justin’s the luckiest guy in the world to have you.”

“He doesn’t have me!”

She turned her back to me, walking down the hallway in the opposite direction.

“It’s only a matter of time.” She threw over her shoulder, winking.

*

I could hear footsteps behind me, following me, rustling the leaves that lined the forest floor. Why had I chosen to take the short-cut through the woods?

I quickened my pace as best I could without running. There was someone behind me. I knew it. I reached into my jacket pocket, clasping my fingers around my cell phone. My breaths came faster, my heartbeat echoed in my ears and then I crashed into a hard body.

Barely gaining my balance I looked up at the strangely familiar figure. Justin.

“Wh-what are you doing here? Were you following me?” I demanded, taking two steps away from the heat of his body.

His brows furrowed over his black unreadable eyes. “What are you talking about?”

I looked at him. His shoulders were tense, his arms rigid against his sides as his gaze looked past me and into the depths of the woods.