4. I'm not stupid

Chapter Four

I’m not stupid

  “What do you think Merry?”

  I smile back at Elle who is rehearsing her ballet. She’s moving gracefully over the floor, like a butterfly. My sister doesn’t have wings as far as I know, but it looks like she actually does. She sighs deeply every time she slips up, though I honestly can’t tell any difference. I guess it matters most to fit the rehearsed program. It’s pretty amazing that she can tell a story with just ballet.

  They are having a big show tomorrow and she is looking forward to it. She has been dancing in the living room over an hour now. It is the only room big enough for her to practice if you don’t count Keith’s, but he never lets her in there to train. She takes her ballet seriously despite her young age.

  “You are fantastic, and I don’t say that because you are my sister,” I compliment her.

  “I think I’m ready, I have a good feeling that this will be a success,” she states thoughtfully. “I invited Jake to come but he said he doesn’t like dancing.” Her disappointment is shining through her eyes. She wants everyone to see her ballet tomorrow.

  “He’s a guy right?” I try to ease her mind.

  “Yeah, he would rather play those stupid games with Keith in his room,” she pouts.

  “He doesn’t know what he’s missing, ballet is wonderful.”

  Elle runs up and hugs me and then dances out of the room to take a shower. I wasn’t like her when I was nine years old. None of us has the same personality. I used to run around in pigtails and shorts and play soccer with Keith and Jake. I miss those times when I didn’t have a worry in the world.

  “Meryl, Carolyn is here!” I hear mom call for me in the hallway.

  I make my way to my room where she is inspecting my walls with a frown. Her light brown hair is perfectly styled with Hollywood waves and she is wearing a deep pink dress with a black belt and heels. She has been my best friend since fifth grade when I punched a boy for bullying her. Let’s just say he never bothered her again.

  “So, what do you think?” I ask her curiously, wanting to know what she thinks of my remake.

  “That’s so sweet you put me in the middle!” She refers to the photographs. “What did you do with the trophies?”

  “Dad put them in his room before I had the chance to throw them away.”

  “Merry,” she shakes her head smiling at me. “You worked really hard for them and you should feel proud of your achievements even if you are moving on.”

  “I am proud. I just don’t want to see them every day when I wake up anymore.” I look her up and down with a pointed look. “What did you dress up for?”

  Usually my dear friend wears more comfortable clothes like jeans and tunics. She always dresses up but not to this extent and definitely not just to see me.

  She blushes and her eyes are shimmering with stars. “Trey asked me out for a date! I didn’t think you would disagree so I accepted. You know how much I like him, are you angry with me?”

  I can’t be angry when I see her this happy. Trey used to be my boyfriend, the only one I had besides Jake, but he dumped me just as we were getting serious so he could date someone else. I think he just enjoyed the chase. I’m not easy to catch  and I bet he is happy he broke up before the accident so he doesn’t look like an ass now. Looking back I wonder what I saw in him to begin with.