Chapter 2

You may be wondering if you read that correctly, or if you are remembering incorrectly. You read that correctly and your memory serves correct if you think that I just said that I faked my death. I did.

Lucy used me. I realized how absolutely stupid I must be to not have realized that. I couldn't bare the thought of losing her like that, so I had to see if she really cared for me. I planned on coming back really soon after that, but I thought she had moved on. I mean, she kissed Casper for goodness' sake! I couldn't just sit by and watch her forget about me. So I left.

I found myself a new life. It was one with no Lucy, no Casper, no anything from my old life. Heck, even my mom thought I was dead, but I wasn't as okay with that as I was with everything else.

I ran off to who-knows-where to do who-knows-what. I wasn't sure. I just ran off.

I was eighteen anyway, so I was able to get myself a house and get back into high school.

There was a girl at the high school there who showed me around. When she got nervous, she started braiding the ends of her already-braided hair. I found it cute. But not as cute as Lucy's sarcasm.

Ugh! I needed to get that girl out of my head. She was gone. I was dead and gone. I shouldn't have been worried about her at all.

But I was. I was worried that I had been forgotten. That if when someone mentioned my name, she would simply reply with, "Who?" What I didn't know was that is if someone mentioned my name, she would break down in tears.

"Jake?"

"Huh? What?" I asked.

"You spaced out again. What is with you?"

"Sorry, Mira, my mind has been somewhere else," I replied.

"I noticed," she said. "The question is, where?"

"In a galaxy far, far away," I replied.

"What have I told you?" Mira groaned. "Get that What's-Her-Face out of your head before I go to What's-It-Called and kill her. You worry me. You make me start to think that you want to go back and see her."

"She thinks I'm dead," I whispered. "I've been forgotten. I could never go back."

"Look, honey, how about this: I'll let you go back there at the class reunion whatever and see her if you forget about her now," Mira promised.

"What have I told you about calling me honey?" I asked with a groan. She just stared at me. "Fine, I'll do it." That was her promise to me.

I tried my best to completely block Lucy from my head, but it was impossible. I couldn't do it.

However, if I tried really hard, I could make myself forget about her. The only problem was that if I did that, I'd have nightmares about her.

I just tried to not space out. That worked better. Much better.

I was happy that way. No problems. Except when Mira caught me looking through the photos on my phone, trying to find one of Lucy.

"What did I tell you?" she would ask.

"I know, but it helps," I'd reply. She'd just sigh and shake her head.

One time, she stole my phone.

"What is this?" she asked. The smile I had had on immediately evaporated.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm guessing the girl on the left is Lucy, and this is obviously you on the right, but what is she doing?"

"I dunno," I replied.

"Is she biting you? Are you a vampire?" Her voice quieted a lot when she asked the second question.

"Maybe," I replied. "And that's not Lucy."

"Who is it then? Another girlfriend?"

"No, that would be Lucy's friend, Erica," I replied.

"What will take your mind off of this girl?" Mira asked.

She gasped. "You need a girlfriend."

"Do not!" I protested immediately.

"You do," Mira insisted. "It'll take your mind off of Lucy and I can stop worrying about if you'll leave me alone in this cruel world to go back to her."

"If you insist," I said. I got down on one knee in front of her. "Mira, I've been wanting to ask you this for a while."

"I didn't mean you had to go this far!"

"We've been friends for a while. I am almost certain that you like me, and if I had thought of this before, I would've forgotten Lucy earlier." Lie. "Like I said, I've been wanting to ask you this for a long time."

"Please tell me you aren't proposing. I'm only eighteen, and I wouldn't be able to find a bridesmaid, let alone a maid of honor."

"Mira."

"Yes, Jake?"

"Shut up." I put a bracelet on her wrist that said 'TAKEN'. She squealed.

"Oh, thank goodness you're only asking me out. Well, I might as well say yes!" She wrapped her arms around my neck and kissed me.

"Gosh, you'd think they're getting married," someone nearby said.

"Yes, and that is only because I like to dramatize things a bit," I retorted.

"Whatever man, do what you want."

"I will!"

"Okay."

"Thank you for understanding me!" I kissed his hand and walked off.

"What on earth did you just do?" Mira asked.

"I am not sure," I replied. "It would be what Lucy would call 'acting on impulse.'"

"Really?" Mira asked. "I wanna meet this Lucy girl."

"Don't worry. You will. At the class reunion whatever-cha-ma-call-it," I told her.