Chapter 32

"You're kidding me," Alec blurts.

My mind is already five steps ahead. I blink, forcing it to slow down, and notice that all three of them stare at me with looks ranging from surprise to horror.

"Let's be honest with ourselves," I say. "We don't have much of a chance of surviving in here if we factor in the Blanks. You've seen the damage one of them can do. Imagine if there are three or five or ten more of those things at the same time."

"How does cutting ourselves off from the Takers improve our odds?" Willow asks suspiciously. "If anything it'll backfire. They'll kill us for insubordination."

"They won't do that." I'm not one hundred percent confident in my words, but they don't need to know. "You said it yourself. Sam promised we'd be spared if we make it out alive."

Willow lets out a laugh. "You don't get to disobey Sam and expect everything to turn out just fine. You should know that. Unless you're used to him coddling you."

"They brought us here to turn us into Mods," I say, trying not to bristle at the dig. "They have bigger plans for us outside this place. I'm guessing a lot of money went into this project. They wouldn't throw all of it away just because we're desperate to stay alive."

"That's a big if," Willow responds, her voice softer. I catch her eyes dart to the camera behind me. "You don't know them like I do. This is suicidal."

"No, it's not." I sigh. "Look, I get that you're worried, but I do have a plan. I'm not rushing into this. I know it's a lot to ask for but just . . . trust me, okay? All of you."

I look from one face to the next. Carson is frowning. Willow stares at the table, rubbing her brow. Alec is the only one who looks like he's considering my proposal. I'm not surprised. He's never struck me as a coward. This is, after all, the guy willing to stand up to his father for his relationship with Willow.

She seems more like someone who stepped in line more often than she acted out or rebelled against orders. Just like me. Which makes sense if Sam raised both of us. But I'm willing to do whatever it takes to survive now. Question is, is she?

"Sure," Alec says. "You've got my support."

"I have a feeling nothing I say will stop you, so I won't try," Willow says.

I give her a tight nod. I don't know what prompted her to have my back since day one, but everything feels weird now, thanks to her attitude. It doesn't escape me that Sam is the reason there's tension between us. He's found a way to ruin yet another friendship for me.

"If y'all are doing this, then I'm all for it," Carson chimes in.

I look around at the table grimly, refusing to treat this as a victory.

Compared to all the hurdles before me, it's not.

We're going over details of our rebellion when Marcus shows up. "Willow, right?"

I don't know which of us is more surprised. She looks up at him with big eyes and says in a quiet voice, "Yes."

"Come with me."

He walks away, assuming she'll follow. She does.

"Here's hoping Marcus takes the news well," Alec says.

"What news?"

He chuckles. "You're not going to get me to talk so easily. Sorry."

"I have Willow to thank for that," I mutter.

"I'll tell you one thing. Back when we were kids, Willow and Marcus were like brother and sister. They were a couple of misfits. Marcus had his temper, and Willow was an outcast because Sam kept her on a leash. I guess they both needed a friend. A lot has happened since then, but deep down, I think she still cares about him. This is her way of honoring an old friendship. By keeping his secrets."