City of Dark

Alec, after almost a day's rest, was back in Echo's room with his hand in hers.
"Do you think she can hear us?" Alec looked up at his sister.

Isabelle gave a shrug, "I don't know. Maybe."

Alec looked down at Echo, "She hasn't moved at all. Do you think she will ever wake up? What if whatever Valentine did to her, permanently damaged her?"

Isabelle sighed, "You can't think like that. She's going to be fine."

"Did Clary come to see her at all?"

Isabelle sat on the chair beside Alec, "Yeah, she's been bouncing between her mom and Echo."

Alec sighed, "Is there anything we can do to wake either of them up?"

Isabelle shook her head, "Time. That's all we can hope for right now."

Alec looked down at Echo as she started to slightly stir in his hand.
"Echo?"

Isabelle stood up, "Echo, can you hear us?"

Suddenly Clary and Jace were in the room.

"Is she awake?"

Isabelle looked up at Clary, "I don't know."

Echo gripped Alec's hand tightly and he sprang up, "Echo, hey, you're okay. You're safe now. Just open your eyes."

Clary stood behind Alec and hoped, but Jace stood at the edge of the room.

Echo let in a gasp and popped her eyes open with a shout. Just in the scream alone made the walls shake slightly. Echo fell back onto the mattress with a shallow breath. Alec, with his hands still in hers, leaned over her and they locked eyes for a moment before Echo looked around at the faces above her.

Echo could feel a plethora of emotions shouting at her; anger, love, fear, worry, anxiety, apprehension, guilt, hope.

"Echo?"

Echo looked over at Clary and swallowed painfully.

"Clary."

Alec let go of Echo's hand and let Clary take his place, "Hey, Ec. How are you feeling?"

Echo tried to answer Clary, but the pain from her chest wouldn't allow anything but a groan to emit. Clary looked up at Isabelle with worry then back at Echo.

"Sorry, stupid question." Clary shook her head, "But, I'm glad you are here and awake."

Echo could feel that there was something Clary wasn't telling her. Echo gripped Clary's hand in an angered squeeze and Clary pulled in a breath.

"Uh, we found mom. She's still unconscious, but she's here, in the institute."

Echo's eyes went wide for a moment before she felt a shift in the air. She glanced at Jace and Echo could feel his desire and disbelief. Echo swallowed and signaled to Clary to tell her the rest.

Clary sighed and gently looked at Jace before she spoke, "It's Valentine. He's Jace's father too." Clary saw the way that Echo's expressions were wiped clean, "Ec, Jace is your twin."

Echo suddenly let go of Clary's hand and was on the other side of the room, leaning against the wall, in the blink of an eye.

Jace, Alec, Isabelle and Clary all had different reactions, but it was Alec who rushed to Echo's side as she failed to grasp the wall. Echo looked over at Jace with a mixture of familiarity and disbelief. Echo leaned against Alec and shook her head, "No, you can't be."

Shockingly, Jace took a step forward, "Valentine glamoured himself as Michael Wayland. I'm sorry Echo."

Echo shook her head again, "This isn't real. I'm still dreaming."