Chapter 3

Chapter 3

We stand on the side of a corner and wait for a taxi to come by, when the cab stops we get into the back seat. The driver sees him holding a large garbage bag, the driver says whats in the bag? He stays silent and the long ride begins. After about an hour or so we arrive in a quite neighborhood with houses that all look the same.

We stop infront of the address 3705.

Thanks for the ride I say blankly and hand him some money. Lesley and I grab our things and step out of the car. We start approaching the house until I stop and look her in the eyes.

I set the things to the side walk and hold her shoulders, I take in a deep breath and say I have to tell you something very very important.

Lesley nods her head for me to continue...and I say M- Mom....is gone.

Lesley looks at me like I'm crazy and said, gone where? And tighten my grip on her and say she's....dead Les. She buries her head into my chest and says, What did we ever do to make this happen, this doesn't need to happen to us...were good people aren't we?

I whisper yes in her ear and hold her while she cried, I feel so helpless the more she cries the more broken down I become. I lean back a bit to get attention and say, You and I gotta stick together alright? I say with a half hearted smile...just barley believable.

I clear my throat and say, we are at Uncle Thomas's house. You've met him a couple times when you were younger. But you probably don't remember. Well he would babysit us. While mom was gone.

We gather our things and walk up the steps to the house....here's to a new beginning. When the door opens I take a deep breath in and look at Lesley.

"Here's to a new beginning."