Thank You, Stranger

Newt's POV

Jacob and I were busy out on the streets of New York, searching for my lost beasts. We had just spotted my Niffler, scurrying along the cobbled streets. The little bugger really only had eyes for shiny things.

It was night. We walked down the street that was barley illuminated by the yellow glow of street lights. Then we each heard a terrible sound one never wishes to hear:

A whip crack followed by loud crying. It must've been those Second Salemers going after a wizard. Or, by the sound of the cry, it was a witch.

Jacob and I looked at each other knowingly. We had just silently decided to help.

"Follow me!" I whispered suddenly to Jacob.

We followed the terrible sounds of the cries and arrived at the Second Salemers' "church".

There, chained to a wooden post by her wrists, was a woman. And by the looks of the dirty rope that bound her hands, she'd been there awhile.

The woman who was beating her just so happened to be the same one I'd seen earlier today in the square on the steps of the bank. She was the one protesting about wizards.

I happened to be chasing after my Niffler into the bank at the time; that's where I met Jacob. This Salemer woman had stopped me, asking if I was "a seeker of the truth." I honestly didn't know what she had meant. Then again, sometimes muggles didn't make much sense anyway.

The Salemer lady lashing the woman tied to the post yelled some insults, spit on the her, then went inside.

I raced from the other side of the street where I'd been casually standing, my feet stumbling over the uneven road.

Pulling out my wand, I uttered an untying spell and the ropes loosened around the post, then her feet. The woman fell, exhausted, into a hunched over mass and I caught her.

Her back was bleeding from whip lashes. She was wearing little clothes and winter was just beginning so I took of my soft blue jacket and wrapped it around her shoulders to keep her warm.

She gazed up at me with these magnificent green eyes and mumbled a small, "Thank you, stranger," before passing out in my arms.

I picked her up and held her delicately. "Jacob, could you grab my case, please?" Without a word, and slightly aghast expression he did as I asked.

"We need to find a safe place to enter the case where no one will be at this time," I said quickly. "Do you happen to know of any?"

"There's Central Park," mused Jacob. "There shouldn't be anyone in there this late at night."

"Perfect," I decided. "Lead me there."

I followed Jacob while holding the limp woman into a park. She was so light and easy to carry, skinny from the lack of food. If anyone happened to see this, we'd get reported to police for sure.

Jacob found a bridge over a frozen pond. Stepping onto the ice cautiously, Jacob waddled out a few feet before going under the bridge.

"You can set her down here," Jacob said, referring to underneath the bridge crossing a frozen pond.

I set the woman down gently then Jacob did the same with my case.

Then, I opened my case and casually walked down inside it. Jacob let out a scream/laugh of alarm.

Once Jacob had recovered from the sight of magic, he and I slowly worked to lower the girl inside.

I shoved a stack of papers from the table and laid her down gently. Grabbing a bunch of herbs and potions, I went to work.