- CHAPTER FIFTY TWO -

The headquarters of Morningstar Incorporated cast a pall that spanned the realms of the Hells. Virtually every soul toiling and suffering under the flaming black skies felt the building's shadow on their backs every moment. The heavy shadow of the menacing black glass monolith was one of the brilliant deceptive illusions of the place and a favourite of Asmodeus.

Inside his penthouse suites, the CEO of Morningstar Inc. scowled. He was slumped in the folds of a massive burgundy leather wingback chair. Across the room, draped in a similar chair, Azazel looked thoroughly pleased with himself. Wearing a black velvet track suit, he sat askew, one of his legs cradled over the edge of the chair's wide armrests. Dangling his foot about, Azazel snickered. He said to Asmodeus, "You look worried."

"I'm surrounded by damned souls and conniving Daemons, Azazel. Shouldn't I be worried?"

"Not at all old stick, you've got an alliance with the Shade. You're the biggest and baddest Daemon in the head. You're doing fine."

"Quit blowing smoke up my ass, I number you and Shade among those I trust the least." Asmodeus growled.

"You're such a talker," Azazel laughed. "Me, I'm touched."

A thin wisp of purple smoke appeared just above the large round blood red coffee table between Azazel and Asmodeus. "It's about time," Asmodeus grumbled.

The wisp of smoke became a torrent until the purple eyes appeared in the haze. The rasping voice of the Shade greeted them. "Felt anything recently?" Shade hissed offhand.

"Yes, I suppose it's all of your doing. What was it?" Asmodeus asked.

"I have effectively released Hell on Earth, set up the Outcasts for the crime, sidelined the Angels of Wrath and established a puppet government in waiting for the Heavens. Not to mention, I'm going to hand to you, on a silver platter, Azrael and her beau Michael, possessor of the Picatrix." The Shade said, drifting towards one of the large tinted windows. Surveying the darkened city below and the surrounding realms of fire, it said, "Might I ask what you two have been doing?"

"Asmodeus is worrying." Azazel chirruped.

"Is he? About what? We will control the Heavens," the smoky figure said. "The Angels of Wrath won't interfere with our operations on the world and the Outcasts have been marginalized. They will be hunted down while trying to control the chaos of Tartarus released. Being virtually unopposed, what are you worried about?" Shade asked.

"What're you asking for in return?" Asmodeus replied. His eyes were riveted to Shade's.

"To be a partner in this venture. I ask only for Hell's full support when the time comes for the final battle. Until then, whatever other assistance you can provide. That, oddly enough, brings me to a gift I've sent to the world." He paused, "For you to take care of."

Tugging angrily at the folds of his suit jacket, Asmodeus asked, "And?"

"Simple, Lady Death will seek out Adimus. I've told Michael she will be ambushed by Azazel, Haroth and Maroth."

"Thank you for that," Azazel said.

"When he tries to surprise you, grab him. Use him to capture Azrael. Resistance taken care of, lost talisman found, the end of the old world, the old war and the start of a new power in life." Shade explained.