Mistaken Identity - Chapter 3

Chapter 3

“Sit, please.” Duncan pleaded, motioning to the sofa. Addie did as he bid and sat on the edge of the very uncomfortable black leather sofa. Duncan could not sit, he continued to pace. “I don’t know what happened, but first of all, I do believe ye.” After a couple rounds of pacing, Addie had almost lost her patience when he finally spoke again, “I know now that ye are not Beth. But, damn ye could be her twin! And if ye fooled me, that psycho that is out to kill her will now be after yer cute arse too.”

“Okay, so you are not a deranged Scot who wears a kilt attacking women in spas?” Addie said and she laughed when she realized how ridiculous it all sounded. He gave her a look that was shocked but then amused.

“Nah. I don’t stalk lasses.” The proudest smile she had ever seen crossed Duncan’s face, “I protect them. I was hired by my best friend to keep his girl safe. She made some eegit angry and had been getting death threats.” He ran his hand through his hair in agitation, “But, if ye fooled me, ye can fool him and now I need to keep ye safe too.”

Duncan sat down next to Addie and took her hand, trying to show her he was calm now and would protect her, he felt the electricity between them and by the look on her face, she had felt the charge too. Ignoring it he said, “Addie, I am sorry I did not believe ye, but you have to believe me. Yer life is in danger and I need to protect ye. Will ye come with me and let me do my job. I need to get back to the cabin and Beth in order to keep both ye safe.”

Addie didn’t know what to believe. If she walked out right now this madman (the one that she wasn’t sure existed) might jump out of a bush and kill her thinking she is this Beth person. If she went along with the madman sitting next to her, she might have a chance to escape. But, what if he wasn’t a madman? What if his story was true? Against her better judgement, Addie decided to play along with Duncan, for now, until she found out if the story he was telling her was true or not.

Duncan could see the hesitation to believe him in her eyes. He jumped up from the sofa and ran to his computer and pulled up a picture taken at a red carpet event, even Addie had to admit that she looked like this Bethany Martin person. Realization dawned on her as to why the weird girl at the spa winked when she said her name, of course she thought that Addie was this Beth. They looked like the same person. Realizing that her life could now be in danger, Addie had to trust Duncan MacKenzie to protect her. She had no choice.

******

Promising she would not run away, Duncan had gone to take a shower and change clothes. He handed her back her cell phone and suggested she call anyone who might worry and let them know she would be out of town for a few days. Wondering how she would explain this to her parents, she was happy to get the voice mail at the house. “Hey Mom and Dad, something has come up. I ran into an old friend and they were heading out of town for a few days and invited me along. I don’t want you to worry. I will call you when I can, but the place won’t have cell service so I will be turning my phone off. I love you and don’t worry!”

Addie hated lying, especially to her parents. She had never been good at it and they both could see through it with the look on her face. Well, at least this time they could not see her. She hung up the phone and quickly turned the phone off before her parents could call her back.

Turning around she was surprised to see Duncan coming towards her with clothes in his hand. His hair was still damp from his shower and Addie’s hands burned to touch it. He had changed out of his kilt and was dressed in a pair of jeans that flattered the parts of his body that had been hidden under his kilt. Wearing a t-shirt that read, ‘Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion!’ made Addie smile. Blue eyes sparkled at her and he lifted a corner of his mouth just before he spoke. “I’m sorry I don’t have more to offer you, but I thought you might like to change into something more comfortable for the trip.