Library Revelries

There was nothing unusual or extraordinary about this particular day. It was a bit humid, fairly warm, and the sun shone brightly outside the high school campus as students ate their lunch. Or, as how others spent theirs, read books at the library. Er, it wasn’t her habit really; but she was bored and thought she’d get started on that History assignment that was due next week.

Excuse me, what time is it?

Cris looked up from her reading to find a pale girl with long black locks staring at her. For a few seconds, they both just gaped at each other, their faces impassive. Cris should’ve been scared, surprised even – but she was used to this kind of thing. Besides, this wasn’t the first time that she saw this strange creature appear from nowhere. She blinked once and glanced at her watch before finally giving the expressionless girl a reply.

It’s 12:15…

Cris’ large brown eyes studied her pallid face when she smiled a bit, then turned to walk away. The girl had been wearing the much older school uniform of their academy; the one worn by their grandmas somewhere in the 1930’s: characterized by the shorter gray skirt and a longer neck tie. It stood out among the few lurking students behind bookcases at that hour, with their much longer skirts and shorter neck ribbons. No one batted an eyelash though; and Cris already knew why.

She didn’t have to follow the girl’s suspended movements to know that she’d be on her way toward the door before disappearing. Completely vanishing into thin air.

Cris sighed and closed the book she hadn’t been paying much attention to anyway. She focused instead on the half-open window a couple of feet from the table where she sat, the thin lace curtains being blown by the breeze. It was legend that a particular ‘ghost-girl’ would appear at a certain hour in the library, always asking for the time. Cris frowned at the thought. She’d already seen the Ghost Girl even before she heard of the stupid legends.

Crissy…!

She looked behind her when someone hissed her name, only to find none other than her bouncy best friend Maddie.

What gives? You’re supposed to be at the cafeteria today -” she took the chair next to her friend and spoke in hushed tones. But Cris cut her off as she leaned back on her seat and crossed her arms over her chest.

I know. I was bored

Maddie rolled her eyes. Obviously, Cris didn’t mean that. No pretty cheerleader in her right mind would be seen at the library. Especially when their clique just heard rumors that a certain guy wanted to ask their friend out. Not just any ‘asking out’, mind you. But the public type, possibly with a bunch of flowers or maybe even expensive chocolates. Okay, maybe not. But still.

Quit being nerdy! It’s disgusting” scoffed Maddie, trying her best to be quiet. The librarian caught wind though, and she scowled at the girls.

Cris kept her face straight as she looked outside, onto the vast green campus field where a bunch of students loitered like ants. Her ears barely heard her friend ramble about some dude they had been trying to pair up with her for quite a while now. What was his name? Alex? Not that she detested the guy; she found him quite attractive, really. It’s just silly, that’s all. This entire ‘popularity’ thing…

“…and he’s gonna ask you out supposedly today, you selfish ass! Now get up! I think he’s still at the cafeteria” Maddie tugged on her arm and that brought her back to reality.

What if I don’t like him?” it came out of nowhere. Cris wasn’t thinking straight apparently. Maybe it’s the heat, she thought. But it felt nice to see her best friend’s mouth fall open in shock. She giggled.

What the hell did that mean, idiot?! C’mon, get up!” glared Maddie, now pulling her up from the chair. 

Cris gently brushed off her hand and shook her head.

Not now, Maddie. I want to be alone. Just for today” her face was dead serious.

Maddie stared at her for a long time it seemed, utterly baffled at her friend’s reaction. Was she on caffeine withdrawal? Or did she eat some alien substance that suddenly turned her into an anti-social bookworm? She’d known Cris for four years now; and during that time, she wasn’t the type to skulk in dim rooms surrounded by nerds. Did something happen that Cris wasn’t telling her?!

Don’t make me drag you out” her voice was dangerously low, a clear threat.

But Cris sat unperturbed. The fans in the room didn’t help much to alleviate the humidity; it added to it, in fact. And she wasn’t in the mood to argue. She just wanted to be left alone. For just one day, she wanted to be on the other side of the fence. It was senior year and she had been feeling as if she missed half her life. It’s this god-awful secret, she groaned to herself.

Only for today, Maddie. Please…” she pleaded instead with her big brown eyes.

Maddie sighed heavily and put both hands on her shapely waist. In a far corner, she noticed a dark-haired boy stealing glances at them from the thick book he was reading. She glowered at him as warning. He looked away.

Do what you want. But if he changes his mind, don’t blame me” and with that she sauntered off.

Cris watched after her retreating figure, a knot forming at the pit of her stomach. She rarely argued with anyone, let alone with Maddie. Half of her conscience told her to run after her, squeak out an apology, then sit with her cheerleader buds at the cafeteria with this Alex guy. Giggling, canoodling maybe, laughing.

Nope. Not today.

She opened the book again, but all she saw were gibberish. A cool breeze entered through the window and blew her hair from her face. Cris tucked a few strands behind an ear and happened to catch the brooding boy staring at her, but he quickly ducked his head.

Wasn’t he on the Honors List? She searched her mind for a name…Jonah? Jeremy? Jimmy? Drats, what was it?! Cris recognized him; they were classmates in Physics. Or was it Statistics? She hadn’t been aware that she was already deep in thought, and the boy was observing her crease her eyebrows. He had forgotten all about the thick book in front of him.

Silence descended on the library once more as everyone buried their noses in a book. Well, except for two people who seemed immersed in their own thoughts. But the sudden chime of bells signaled an end to everyone’s free time, including the faculty. The librarian glimpsed at the giant round wall clock and stacked books on her counter, ready to be returned on their proper places.

Cris looked up from her revelry and met his staid dark eyes. He was getting ready to leave, his book already closed and a backpack hung on his shoulder. She sighed and got up as well, just in time when the cellphone in her pocket vibrated. Cris frowned as she read the message and squeezed her way into the rush of human traffic.

It was more humid then, somewhat warmer, and the sun shone brightly outside the high school campus as students hurried to catch their afternoon classes.