Newborn Blues

Newborn Blues

    His eyes glistened as he glanced down at a pair of dewdrop blue eyes; a replica of his own. The bundle in his arms was wrapped in thick layers of blankets, emitting warmth towards the new source of light in his eyes.

    His ears picked up on the sound of the hospital bed creaking. Vertigo hit him hard as he rushed to the bedside where his wife rested. She lay as lifeless as before; three days and still not one movement. He was way past worrying now. He was beginning to accept the fact that he may never get to see her moss green eyes flutter open at sunrise as they awoke for work or after a passionate afternoon following a long, stressful day. He stepped away from the bed and settled himself back on the guest chair releasing an anguish-filled sigh.

    He had heard of maternal death before, but he never thought of the possibility of it happening to the love of his life. He cradled his son closer to his chest as a tear glided down his cheek. His wife was his parachute, his only source of hope to keep him from falling into the river rapids, but now he had his son. Theo was like a life raft waiting to support his fall. He needed to stay afloat for Theo. He couldn't lose him too.

    As the heartbeat monitor slowed down to a complete stop, he nodded to himself knowing it was bound to happen sooner or later; however that didn't stop him from bursting into tears and clutching to Theo as if he were a life source. In the mist of it all and unable to utter a single word due to his trembling lips, only one phrase stood out in his mind: "My entirety is held here.". The words were engraved into their wedding bands. Even with the overflowing tears, he could still see the silver band glistening on her ring finger; a smaller version of the one currently resting on the center of his palm. He had promised to love her in sickness and in health, through better or worse, as long as they both shall live; and he did. He did.