Chapter 4

Walking into the club that night brought a new level of excitement to their day as Michael led the way through the crowd to the seated area at the back of the room, where he could only just catch the sight of Paul trying out his latest flirting technique with a girl just before the corridor leading to the back room for VIPs. All afternoon they had simply enjoyed the sunshine, lying together in the park, talking and laughing together while he held Darcy in his arms. Their playfulness brought on by the explanation of his second birthday gift, had remained as a gentle undertone all throughout the day, making them laugh countless times, first when he had asked to take her wedding dress off just to make sure for himself that she wasn't wearing it. Then, again when they were lying together in a comfortable silence, Darcy almost near to sleeping until he lay his hand over her thigh, gently pulling her forward into the warmth of his body as she lay with her head on his shoulder, only to smile to himself and slide her dress up her thigh once more, trying to steal a glimpse of just what she was wearing if not the sexy negligee she promised he would see later that night. When she had asked him to be patient though, a happy serious tone had come into their conversations again when Michael had innocently let slip that he didn't really care to ever see it and that he would have been perfectly happy just to be able to see her naked and know that however perfect she was, and however many men would adore looking at her in her sensual outfits when she passed them, he would always get to see the real girl underneath it all. And he only felt his words were proven to be more right than he cared them to be as they walked through the crowds of the club, the pulsating eighties music doing nothing to humour him as more than one man tried to flirt with his wife as she passed them.

He was about to walk over to Paul and ask him to keep Darcy company while he made a phone call, but found that he had simply chosen to play out his new methods of flirtation in safety...keeping the girl he had set his sights on well away from his friends in case she decided not to respond to him as he hoped she would, saving him from the humiliation and making it much easier for him to lie about it...the rest of his friends sitting just a few feet away, taking up an entire two tables by themselves as they talked and laughed together. "Right girls, make some room...lover boys here." Mika's boyfriend Jonathan smiled up at the couple approaching the table, well aware that his girlfriend suddenly came to life upon seeing him, brushing down her hair and fixing the cloth she called a skirt. But he didn't mind anymore, as soon as he had found out she had cheated on him, with his best friend no less, he had insisted that they have an open relationship and tonight he intended to be as open as possible. He already had two girls, who were definitely not his girlfriend, sitting next to him, one under each arm as they fawned over him the way Mika never had no matter how explosive the sex had been. "Take a seat Mike, if you can find one." He grinned to himself as Michael took one look at the table, unwilling to leave his wife in Jonathan's hands, glad to see that the sofa where he sat was filled by himself and the two girls fawning over him, with Mika, Ronin and Kaede sitting on the sofa opposite him. He didn't know Mika's boyfriend or like the way he was whispering with one girl he sat with, while the other sat kissing his neck and stroking his thigh, but then Michael had always known he was a one girl man and he felt that to leave his sweet Darcy in capable hands, that wouldn't let anyone hit on her, he had to leave her with Ben and Nara. They were busy holding their own private conversation, arguing over whether the babysitter they had hired for the night was competent enough to look after their little girl, occupying two separate, single armchairs that kept them at a safe distance during their argument. Clearing his throat so as not to make them feel he was intruding on their marital dispute, he was glad to see that Ben could only smile in approval of their arrival.

"You're late...as usual." He teased him, looping his foot around the leg of the only other available single chair around their table before dragging it closer to himself and his wife as Nara and Darcy greeted each other with warm, sincere smiles and hugged. It was nice to see them get on so well and all Michael could do was smile as Ben told him to ignore their raging hormones as they began to talk about Keiko. "Take a seat. You want a drink? The first one's on me...we've got an engagement to celebrate." He announced, Paul walking back over to their table on his own, with a thorough agreement as to their celebration, suggesting they order some champagne as he perched on the arm of the sofa next to Kaede. But their words only made Michael smile to himself in recognition of the secret he and Darcy were keeping, glancing up at her to see the blush of her cheeks as she tried to pretend she wasn't watching him out the corner of her eye, in a shared amusement of the surprise they had yet to reveal to his friends.