Chapter 5: Being Left Behind

Love Is Blind (Eyeless Jack x Reader)

Side note: (f/c)- favorite color 

"It's so great to hang out, just the two of us," Lily gushed as you both strolled through the streets of an outlet mall.

"Yeah, we should do this kind of thing more often," you said, looking ahead so you wouldn't accidentally bump into people. Although there weren't a lot of people there to begin with, you still weren't accustomed to being outside of the house, surrounded by strangers you didn't recognize. Since you'd never been out to any kind of mall, you let Lily take charge, following her into all sorts of stores like a disheveled puppy. You were a bit anxious, feeling as if you were expected to buy something instead of mere window shopping, but, even so, you were still . . . wholly and irrevocably grateful . . . to be out with Lily, to be anywhere but that god-awful edifice you were supposed to call a home. Who knew that being out with a friend was so much better than being alone?

As Lily chaperoned you from store to store like you were an adolescent in Disneyland, you found yourself attracted to some shirts, a few pieces of jewelry, and even a few pairs of jeans. They were charming, but you didn't dare fathom purchasing them. Thus, the joy you felt when Lily generously bought some of the items for you was insurmountable. She truly was the best friend anyone could ever ask for.

"Ooo, let's go in here!" Lily suggested enthusiastically as she pointed to a spa. "We can both get a manicure!"

"Uhhh, I don't think that's such a good idea for me," you murmured as you approached her, clumsily lugging the shopping bags Lily had gifted you. My parents would kill me if they ever figured out that I was out of the house—yet again—without permission. And that was something you definitely did not want to happen. Of course, you didn't inform Lily of these potential consequences . . . You just wanted to forget about all of your problems and be happy with her, which is why you never told her about your personal broken life.

"Aww, come on. Relax with meee!" Lily pouted. "Oh, I know! How 'bout you get a pedicure instead? Those are even better than manicures; I promise."

Pedicure, huh? you thought. It could be relaxing . . . and I wouldn't have to worry about anyone at home seeing it if I wear socks. But wouldn't that seem kinda suspicious?

Right when you were about to decide that, perhaps, you shouldn't get a pedicure and, instead, just hang out at a cafe, you started having blurry vision, causing you to feel slightly disoriented. Oh, great, another one of these "blind moments." They always popped out of nowhere and gifted you the pleasure of an insufferable migraine.

"Woah, you okay, (Y/n)?" Lily turned towards you, her facial expression indicative of overwhelming concern.

"Yeah, I'm fine," you replied with a modest smile, not wanting to ruin the fun you two were having. "All right, let's go get our spa on," you agreed, hoping that relaxing a bit would get rid of your headache.

As soon as you stepped inside the salon, the heavy scent of nail polish hit your nose, causing it to wrinkle in displeasure. Lily told a lady behind the front counter which pedicure package you desired and headed towards the display of what seemed like endless bottles of nail polish to choose from. Lily picked out a coral, sorta pink color for her toenails to match what she was currently wearing while you simply decided to choose your favorite color. With the (f/c) bottle of nail polish in hand, you strolled over to one of the big, leathery massage chairs and handed the bottle to the lady who you assumed was going to complete your pedicure.

You weren't used to people touching you, so you were definitely not prepared to get your feet touched by some stranger. It was super uncomfortable for you to get a pedicure at first, but, as time flew by with Lily, you relaxed a bit more, allowing you the opportunity to rest your eyes for a bit. As you two inquired about the other's day, you discerned that Lily was a bit more tense than per usual. You decided to ask her why after you two were finished with the pedicure. By the time you two were out, it was getting late and both of you decided to head back home.

As you and Lily were walking down the street towards your house, you finally decided to question her. "So, um, hey, Lily . . . what's going on?" you asked. Your sudden, random question left her confused and nearly made her stop in her tracks.

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"C'mon, I know that you're not your normal, quirky self right now. You look like you have something on your mind. Tell me."

Lily looked down at her hands, swinging her bags back and forth.

"I, uhh . . . didn't really wanna tell you this. We were having so much fun. But, uhh, this is something really important." She paused, looking the saddest you'd ever seen her in the entire time you had known her. "I'm, uhh . . . My family . . . We-we're moving away!" she quickly blurted.

The moment the words left her lips, you froze. You couldn't believe it. Your one and only best friend was going to leave you. She was what kept you going through all those tough times at home, too. She gave you life and light in your world of darkness, but now she was going away, ripping that light out of you.

"My dad got a higher paying job, which was awesome when I heard about it, but then he said we would have to move because the job he got was pretty far away from home." Lily felt guilty about having to tell you this, but you both knew that you would've figured this out sooner or later. "That's why my parents let me spend the day wherever I wanted with you. I just wanted to have fun with you one last time before I left. I'm sorry, (Y/n)."

You gripped the bags in your hands harder. Tears were threatening to fall from your eyes, but you wouldn't let them. This wasn't fair. None of this was fair! Why were you born into this unmerciful world? Your parents don't love you, you get abused almost daily, and now your best friend who had helped you escape your life was leaving.

Lily put her bags down, went over to you, and gave you a tight hug. You tensed for a bit before releasing your bags as well and returning her embrace.

Lily sighed. "I promise to write to you. Maybe I can even send you trinkets I buy . . . Like some new books!"

You sniffed. You hadn't even realized that you were silently crying. "Yeah, that would be nice."

Lily broke away from the hug, tears also cascading down her cheeks. She then smiled at you. "C'mon, (Y/n). Let's try to enjoy these last moments together."

And so you did.