Chapter Five

“Under the lights tonight, you turned around and you stole my heart, with just one look, when I saw your face, I fell in love, it took a minute girl, to steal my heart tonight,” – Stole My Heart

FEBRUARY 14. 2012

12:00 P.M.

Harry glanced at himself in the mirror, tugging at his lapel and running his hand down the fabric of the jacket. He'd paired it with dark denim jeans and a t-shirt. He thought about the contest and gave a quick thanks be to God he hadn't a thing to do with picking the winner. The contest in question: “Win A Date With Harry Styles” shattered records for the sheer number of girls entering. It was mind-blowing, really. His recent popularity hadn't gone unnoticed but it didn't make it any less surreal. He gave himself a final once over and headed out to make one girl’s dream come true.

            Maneuvering his car into the lot, Harry smiled at the prospect of giving her a day she'd never forget. They were always grateful for their fans. Doing things like this was a small way to show it. Shawn, one of their PR people was the only one he saw. Harry hoped he hadn’t missed something. The prospect of taking Shawn out for the day didn't have much appeal.

            He approached with his hands shoved in his pockets and smiled. “God help me if you’re my date.”

            “You should be so lucky.”

            Shawn stepped to the side and as he did, Harry's breath hitched in his chest. His jaw ticked, issuing a warning to him that he'd better not let it drop. A bombshell of a girl stepped shyly forward and held her hand up in a small wave. Her voice was hardly a whisper. “Hi, Harry.”

            This was not at all what he expected. She was not at all what he expected. He blinked. “Em, hi,” he said. “What's your name, love?”

            “Grace.”

            Her face flushed with color. He couldn't imagine why, with a name as lovely as hers. Okay, so maybe she was intimidated by the entire situation. Not like he could blame her. In one year, he'd gone from Harry Styles, a boy from Cheshire, England, to Harry Styles, the guy who couldn't go anywhere without someone offering their hand in marriage or to bear his children. Yep. He'd be a little timid were he in her shoes.

            He cleared his thoughts and offered his hand. “Gorgeous Grace. Shall we get on with it then?”

            She giggled. “I'd like that.”

            “Here.” Shawn shoved a handful of flashcards at Harry. “Go in order start to finish.”

            “What's this?” Harry asked.

            “I don't know. Your date, I think.”

            “A date on flashcards.” He waved them at Shawn. “Glad to see there is so much faith in me to show a girl a good time.”

            Shawn rolled his eyes. “Don't shoot the messenger. I didn't plan your date.”

            “Who did?” Harry shouted behind him.

            Shawn ignored him, then shrugged but kept walking.

            “Right,” Harry said, turning to Grace. “Okay, well card number one says: Tell your date one thing you would never eat. For the record my answer is sushi.”