01.

01.

“Police say that the person who fired the three deadly shots, is still at large and to not approach this individual.”

I chuckled, returning my spoon to the bowl with no more soup, as the blurry photo of “security camera footage” shows some person leaving the apartment complex, where he supposedly shot another man.

“As if anyone’s going to come forward, you’ll get your brains blown out…” I mumbled to myself as the blonde news reporter continued, with the useless description of the suspect.

“Hey Jude, don’t make it bad

Take a sad song and make it better

Remember to let her into your heart

Then you can start to make it better.”  

“You know every time I hear your ringer I think of how childish you are.” I said, answering the call coming in from my friend Jude.

“You know you love it yeah – hey why don’t you come down to the pub?” he asked, I could faintly hear the loud beat of some Hip-Hop song.

“I – I don’t know man. I still haven’t gotten my topic for our big writing project.” I replied, hopping onto my counter top, and then grabbing an apple to finish off my meal.

“C’mon – lighten up mate its Friday night. Come have a drink.” He persuaded.

“God damn – fine. See ya soon fucker.” I said hanging up, not before hearing him cheer and holler, causing me to chuckle.

I threw on some jeans and a watch, heading to the bus stop a block or two from my flat. The bus came shortly after and was deserted as usual, and it took no more than 20 minutes until I was walking in the door of ‘The Funky Buddha.’

“Hey mate.” I said sitting down in front of Jude, gripping his hand in a friendly bro hug.

“What do you want bud? Its on me.” he said, I replied with the recommended beer that was written in colourful chalk on the board behind him.

Jude simple shook his head at me, walking over to the beer keg to get my drink. While he was doing that I turned my head to a football match currently on the TV screen.

Jude returned handing me my glass, then going to serve another person. I took a sip, cringing at the taste of gin and rum. He spiked my beer that prick. I turned spotting him laughing his head off at me.

“C’mon mate, have a good time why don’t yeah.” He said to which I flipped him off, muttering bastard under my breath. I continued to watch the match, Jude coming back to join me again.

 We held idle chit-chat before someone caught his attention. He waltzed off to serve them, a she, as I finished my drink. It wasn’t bad I wont lie.

“Hey Harry, meet Avery, one or my regulars.” Jude called, and I chuckled.

“One of your regulars, what a fuck up you –“ I spoke up at I turned around, only to see her sitting on the opposite side of the bar. I swallowed hard, my eyes widening.

“Is he always like this?” she asked, humour evident, in her fine tuned British accent.

“Uhh – oh sorry, nice to meet you.” I said reaching out to shake her hand, which still had the chipped burgundy polish.

“Hey cheers! To a fucking killer Friday night.” Jude said, raising his glass of beer. What a proper idiot, drinking on the job, although I do believe he said that he was going to regardless of his bosses warning.

We clinked our glasses, then taking a swig of the alcohol filled caramel liquid. My eyes on her the whole time, hers closed as she downed her drink in one gulp.

January, 3rd 2013.

I saw her! I bloody saw her again, who would’ve thought, although I did wish and hope I would. And what are the chances that she knows Jude. I’m going to have to prod his brain on details about her. She just seems like she has a lot behind her eyes and an overflow of experiences in her brain.

I get the urge to write about her, I feel like she would be a great character for a book. Her description alone would win a Rubery Book Award – or at least a nomination.

I’ve got to know more about her, if I don’t it will eat me alive…

***

an; chapter 01. what do you think? – n.