Chapter 14

For as long as Luke could remember, he'd been serving Thanksgiving lunch at his diner for the townspeople of Stars Hollow. This lunch had become something of an institution over the years, like a giant family gathering where people were free to come and go, eat and mingle, before going home to unbutton their pants and take a nap. And though Luke would never admit it, Thanksgiving was one of his favorite days of the year.

On any given day, Luke was territorial over his diner but today, of all days, he didn't mind some behind-the-counter participation. For the most part, he actually liked Lorelai coming back there to help prepare food (as much as she was able, considering her lack of experience with a knife, or a ladle, or anything involving cookware), enjoyed the sight of Rory moving around the diner, refilling the shakers and decorating each table with tiny pumpkins and pine cones. Even if he grumbled and barked out orders, having Lorelai and Rory helping with the meal made Luke feel as if he were a part of a team. A family.

"What's with the goofy smile on your face?"

Luke's serene moment popped the moment his nephew showed his face. As much as he liked Jess and was proud of his success, the guy had a real talent for rousing the hornet's nest. "Here," Luke said, handing Jess a bucket full of silverware and the special cloth napkins reserved for special occasions. "Start wrapping."

"I need coffee first."

Luke took hold of Jess' shoulders and steered him toward a table. "Fold now, coffee later."

"I'm calling my union," Jess quipped, casting a quick glance across the room at Rory before turning to his task.

Shaking his head, Luke poured out a cup of coffee and set it in front of Jess. Luke wanted to ask about the Rory situation but resisted. He was trying this new thing called staying out of people's business. He wasn't sure he could do it, not when it came to people he actually cared about, but he'd at least give the impression that he was trying.

Jess took a grateful sip of the coffee. "I know what you want to ask me," he said in a low voice. "And the answer is no. We're just friends. Nothing more, nothing less."

Luke held up his hands, backing off. "Hey, I didn't say a word."

Jess' eyes flicked over to Rory once again. "You didn't have to."

"Make way. The most amazing cranberry sauce coming through," Lorelai said, holding a bowl up in the air with one hand as she sashayed out of the kitchen. A moment later, her hip caught on the edge of the counter.

Luke watched the entire thing happen as if in slow motion—Lorelai bounced off the counter just as the glass bowl came flying out of her hands. It sailed through the air and landed face down onto the floor, red sauce splattering everywhere.

Lorelai's hands flew up to her mouth, her eyes as wide as the splash radius.

Luke wiped at the sauce spot on his cheek, shaking his head as he surveyed the mess. "People are going to come in here and wonder who got murdered."

"Time to call Dexter Morgan," Jess said from where he sat.

Rory walked over, biting back a laugh. "Now if we only knew someone with experience in drawing chalk outlines," she said, flashing Jess a meaningful smile.

Jess just gave her a tight smile in return and got up. "I'll go get the mop," he said and walked off to the stock room.

Rory watched Jess retreat to the back of the diner, a little disappointed he'd chosen not to acknowledge her reference. Still, she wasn't naive enough to think he'd be all jokes and smiles already; it would take time and patience to earn back his regard.