Chapter 6 | Pumpkin

6

─── • ─── 

ISABELLA

Trigger warning: sexual assault

I wearily rub my eyes while dragging my heavy feet through campus. I didn't get any sleep last night because Addy was watching re-runs of The Bachelor, and she is not a silent watcher. She got a piece of my mind this morning. And although she apologized for being loud, I know she'll do it again.

Not only did she keep me up, so did my thoughts of Jake. It took a lot of willpower not to reply to his message. I want nothing more than to give him a piece of my mind, but I don't want to deal with him trying to justify cheating. Because it's unjustifiable.

When I arrive at my class, I perch myself in the upper corner of the room like usual. The professor drones on, and I realize today feels different. I look around, trying to gauge the difference, but nothing seems out of place. I'm in the right class, all my work is submitted, and my notes are up to date.

Then I realize how quiet it is, and it hits me—Miles isn't here.

I stare at his empty seat and a strange feeling blossoms in my stomach. Forcing the thoughts out of my head, I return my attention to the professor. For some odd reason, I've never felt lonelier. Despite not being friendly with Miles, he was one more distraction.

I bite the inside of my cheek in an attempt to rid the bitter feeling.

After class, Addy and I drive to The Wild Heart for tonight's performance. Everything goes as expected, and I pour my heart out on the stage, leaving behind the melancholy thoughts Jake seared into my mind.

When we arrive back at our apartment, I can't help but peek down the hall toward the staircase, expecting to see Miles waltzing up. But nobody is there. Addy brings my attention back to reality by waving her arms.

"He asked me to go to dinner with him!" she squeals as she hangs up the phone with Jasper and unlocks our front door. "I need to go get ready!"

We rush to her room. I try to find a suitable outfit for her while she does her makeup.

"I didn't even shave!" she shouts, causing our laughter to fill the room.

"How is this?" I pull a simple but sexy dress out of her closet.

"Perfect, now help me do something." She points to her head. "To this rat's nest."

Ten minutes later she is ready to go in record time. Her hair is curled, and her makeup is subtle but accentuates her delicate features. She looks beautiful.

"I can't remember the last time I went out for dinner," she says.

"Just act natural, don't bring up anything weird."

She laughs nervously. "Great advice." I narrow my eyes and a knocking echoes through our apartment, causing us both to jump. She casts a nervous look.

"You'll be fine, Addy," I reassure her.

She picks up her purse and coat as I push her towards the door. "What if I fuck up? I always fuck up something."

"The only thing you'll be fucking up is him, in bed. You'll be fine."

She nods, and I give her a quick hug before darting into my bedroom. I peer down the hallway, thankful my body is hidden by the doorframe. I watch as she takes a deep breath before opening the door.