6

Scott wasn't sure which to address first: Isaac being conscious, Isaac kissing him or Scott kissing back. Before he could begin weighing his options, Isaac was pulling away, slack-jawed.

He seemed to be as speechless as Scott was. Just as red-faced, too.

"That's one way to say hello." Scott laughed nervously.

Isaac tried to return the favor but he couldn't seem to get his lips to cooperate.

"I don't-" he bit his lip and looked down. He couldn't seem to look Scott straight in the eyes anymore.

"I-" Isaac paused again. "I shouldn't have done that, huh?" he mumbled, looking away.

Scott's awe stricken state snapped back into focus at the sight of a painfully embarrassed Isaac.

The room fell silent, but neither knew what to say next. Scott wanted so badly to say he had no need of being embarrassed. That he'd kiss him again if he'd let him. But he didn't know if Isaac had meant the kiss, if he felt the way he did. So silence consumed them once more.

Scott couldn't find any words that would remedy their situation without embarrassing himself or the both of them so, still, he said nothing.

"I'm sorry." Isaac finally spoke.

Scott's eyes darted up to face him.

Scott opened his mouth to reply but Isaac looked up and he could see that the other boy wasn't finished.

"Just-" he sighed. "If I don't say this now, I don't think I ever will."

Scott sealed his lips and nodded. He could hear Isaac's heart beating a mile a minute and his own wasn't far behind. He was sure Isaac would have noticed too, if he wasn't so consumed by his own thoughts, but that only managed to make Scott that much more nervous.

"I know you're beyond freaked out and I know I probably-" He corrected himself. "-definitely shouldn't have done that."

"And I'll understand if you don't want me to stay here anymore or even if it's too weird to talk to me anymore but, I lo-" Isaac bit his tongue and mentally scolded himself, but Scott's heart skipped a beat.

"I really, really like you." he rephrased.

"And when I was...gone." he paused. "I don't even know if it was really you, actually. But, it sounded like you might feel the same."

He looked to Scott, hoping to see the smallest glimmer of hope that he was right.

They looked at each other for what felt like hours, both likely waiting for a reaction, before anyone actually gave.

Scott shook his head and Isaac's heart, that so frequently did somersaults at the sight of the  shorter man, had finally fallen flat on its face.

Isaac pursed his lips, nodded and moved to stand but felt a firm grip on his left hand.

"It was me."

He looked down to see Scott looking up at him. His grip never wavered.

"I don't know how much you heard but, I meant it. All of it."

He loosened his grip on Isaac and slipped his hand into the boy's palm.

Just like that, Isaac's heart was back on its feet.

"I really, really, really like you, too."

There was that ridiculous smile of his again and Isaac returned it this time.

Isaac crouched down slowly, his eyes never leaving Scott's and they stayed that way for a moment.

The two of them had been under far more stress and faced circumstances that had very literally put their lives in peril, but neither had ever felt more vulnerable than they did now.