||Sixteen||

Day six

"School," he said, pushing me away from his inviting body.

"No."

"Yes." But I could see him smiling, ready to let me stay if I pushed just a little harder.

I kissed his lips, a gentle lazy press of my mouth against his as I brushed my thumb over his knuckles.

He pulled his hand away and opened the door. "I'll see you in a few hours."

"I hate Mondays."

"I know."

"No, I really hate Mondays." I insisted, moving towards him for another kiss but he just smirked and pushed me outside his apartment.

"Nice try. Pick up some lube on your way over."

"We ran out?"

He grinned. "Study hard."

Hard.

I groaned and forced myself to walk away.

Waking up in his bed for the second time in a row felt surreal. Feeling his back pressed against my chest, his legs tangled with mine, the smell of his hair as it tickled my jaw—I had to think of something else. Anything else.

I called Scarlet on my way to class and held the phone away from my ear for extra measure.

"You had sex," was the first thing she said before dissolving into a fit of excited laughter.

She said she didn't really worry about my whereabouts the previous day. "I had my own man to keep me company."

"Not a woman?"

"Not this time, no."

And when the time came, I entered the hall after what felt like years of never attending a lecture. I could barely pay attention to a word the professor said, nerves and excitement buzzing through my body leaving me agitated and impatient.

I also had the store to think about. Had to tell myself that I had a life that did not entirely consist of having sex with Raphael. No matter how much I wished it was, I had other things to do. To think about.

Like saving money, and other things that were not the taste of coffee on his lips, or the way he smiled whenever he drove me over the edge, or the pens he used to trace doodles of intertwined bodies on my arm last night.

The thing he said about us looking like that. We'd be a museum of art pieces strung up on walls. Too expensive for anyone to afford, too explicit for most people's eyes. And he would have carried on if I hadn't touched the base of his spine and led my fingers to his favorite spot.

Ben was standing behind the counter when I walked in.

"I'll be a minute," he said, sorting through a few things as I twisted my way to the back room.

Grabbed myself a mug of warm coffee and embraced its taste on my tongue. Familiar now, warmer and sweeter. Bitter still, but sweet.

My phone buzzed.

Did you get the lube?

Not yet

How long?

I'm at work

can you bail

no

come on

no

can we sext at least?

I eyed the door to the backroom, biting back a smile.

Maybe

you're no fun

I don't think that's how it works

how does it work?

what are you wearing?

touch yourself for me

god you look so good naked

send me a pic

I smiled down at the quick onslaught of short messages.

am I doing it right?

No

fuck off

Send me pic

shut up

A heartbeat.

wait are you serious

Maybe

Possibly

fuck

I was still grinning when Ben wandered in, stopped at the door, and sniffed in disdain. "You look like a fool."

"I feel like a fool," I said, staring at my screen as I waited for another text.

Ben shrugged on his coat. "Don't have sex on the couch."

"No promises." Which I didn't think was the most professional response, but it seemed to work fine with Ben.

He shook his head and walked away mumbling under his breath.

Come over, I sent.

right now?

Yeah. Ben left. How long until your shift's over?

fuck my shift, I'll get someone to cover. Be there in a few

Lube

good thinking

But when he got to the store, the sun was starting to set, and a few customers lingered behind different shelves.

He unhooked the scarf around his neck and tossed it aside before rounding the counter.

"Restricted zone," I said, thumbing through an antique magazine.

"Sexy."

I spared him a glance, pretending his presence didn't send a jolt through my bones. He tugged on the sleeves of his sweater before crossing his arms over his chest. "Busy night."

"You could say that."

"Would they mind if we kicked them out?"

I scanned the shelves before wheeling my chair towards him and pulling him down with a fistful of his sweater. "They won't notice."

He smiled and bent down to kiss me briefly.

We pulled away, and he dragged another chair in from the back room.

"Spring break is in a week," I said, turning to the magazine.

"And?"

I kicked his leg.

"I was joking. You should stay at my place."

"Aren't I already?" I joked back. "Maybe I will."

"You don't have to go home?"

I shook my head. "Family doesn't care much as long as I show my face for Christmas."

"Friends?"

I looked at him then. Properly turned my head to see him staring back at me. "I'd rather hang out with you if you don't mind."

"I don't," he said, then grabbed the corner of the counter and pulled. Pretended to look through the papers and notes strewn over the surface.

"Then that's settled."

I'm SO lazy.

Thanks for reading!