chapter three || bump

{ heather }

When I opened my eyes my stomach gave me an uneasy good morning as I ran to the toilet so it could empty itself. Either Ma's casserole didn't agree with my internal organs or the nerves of my first day at Mayville High were getting to me.

I stepped quietly back into my room, noticing the darkness through the living room window. I picked up my phone and saw a big 3:30 right on the front. I grunted and face planted back onto my unusually stiff bed. It's funny because it was the exact same bed I slept in each night at my old home, but my aching back led me to believe that it had been swapped out with a big rock. Sighing, I flipped over and sat up to stare at the bland wall in front of me.

So far, this town hadn't been exactly what I was expecting. Already I found myself starting to become intrigued by the mysterious boy that lived just across the street. He was unlike any other. He seemed cordial and polite, but there was a spark of mischief in his eyes that was haunting me.

But then the memories of my past experiences crept into my conscience and gave me a little shove back into reality and those blue eyes started to fade.

This was going to be my year. Senior year. My relationship-free year. I was going to have fun, be flirty, and have the best year of my life. Nothing was going to inhibit that.

______________________________

 "Do you have everything you need, Heather?"

I checked my backpack whilst shuffling around the house one last time, even though there was not much out to even look for.

"Yeah I hope so. By the way when are we painting the walls? They're so white it hurts my eyes."

"Like you," I heard my dad quip as he walked out of the back door.

"Shut up!" I yelled back and heard a firm slam in reply.

"Ignore him," Ma droned then handed me a green tinted, rectangular paper. "Take this incase you want to buy anything."

"Okay, okay that's enough, Ma. I really think I'm fine. It's not like I'm moving out. That's next year." I smirked.

She clicked her tongue with a dismal look on her face.

"Oh don't even start about you moving out. It makes me sad. Today is exciting!"

"Yeah. Exciting." I snatched the keys to the Corolla and headed towards the front door.

"Drive safe,” she said quickly whilst turning the napkin holder about a centimeter to the side to make sure it was picture perfect. I chuckled.

"The speed limit here doesn't go past 30, Ma. I'm sure I'll be fine," I assured her and pulled the door shut behind me.

______________________________

I must have jinxed myself because as I pulled into the parking lot, I was jolted forward from colliding with a little blue car. A small girl with long, shiny, jet black hair came out of the small vehicle with her jaw hanging down. I ran a hand through my hair. What a great first impression at the new school.

I jolted from my seat and sprinted to the scene, wincing at the prominent dents in both of our cars. My gaze then flickered up to the small oriental girl in an outfit much more fashionable than anything I've ever worn in my existence.

"Oh my gosh, I am so sorry. I wasn't paying attention at all. I just- I, um. I'll pay for that if you--"

I was cut off by her laugh which I was immediately jealous of.

"Literally, don't worry about it. I was more shocked about the damage on your car. I’m so sorry... my car is a piece of junk anyways. If anyone should be paying anything it should be me," she said quite calmly, much the opposite of me. She walked back toward her car and held up her index finger to me, sitting back down in her drivers seat to park.

I, being my awkward self, stood there with my mouth slightly open for a good five seconds then did the same myself, running back up to her afterwards.

"Are you sure? I--"

"Seriously don't worry about it. I'm sure. Oh and aren't you the new girl in town?” she asked and a laugh softly passed my lips.

“Yes, that would be me. The new girl.” She giggled at my emphasizing the words. Not really sure of where to go, I followed her like a little lost puppy out of the small and barren parking lot. My guess was that most folks here walked to school.

“I'm Annabelle. Just call me Ana, though to save you the extra synonym. It’s a lot easier to spell, anyway.”

Suddenly I felt a lot more comfortable from her friendly aura and warm smile.

"I'm Heather,” I returned. “It's a little scary how the whole town knows who I am in a matter of two days."

“Yeah. Everyone knows everyone here, basically.”

“Well except me..”

Ana smiled. “You’ll get to know everyone pretty fast. I guarantee it.”

Then I took a deep breath as she opened the school doors for us, and I shifted the straps on my backpack as my completely and utterly terrified self prepared to enter this scary uncharted territory named Mayville High School.

______________________________

 P L E A S E    R E A D    B E L O W

[this was a piece of shit it's kind of just a really short filler. that's why there wasn't a song or pictures or anything. i'm so sorry i will be updating again really soon with a real chapter; i'm trying to get back on track. i love you all and i'm so so so sorry.]

▲  e i g h t e e n   v o t e s