That Unseen Wall - Part 1

RRRIIINNNNGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!

She woke up with a start as her phone on her bedside table rang violently. Her mind was still fuzzy with sleep, as she raked her brain for possible things, probably murderous, that she will do to the caller. It was still very early, and today was Saturday! Whoever is the caller must have a good reason for interrupting her slumber, or he/she is so dead.

She looked at her phone’s screen. It was an unknown number. She answered nonetheless.

“Hello?” she didn’t even bother to hide that annoyance in her voice.

“Shiho! Help!” a familiar voice said. She knew that voice very well. There was a hint of urgency in it.

“Kudo-kun…” She said menacingly. “Is that a way to greet someone whom you disturb from sleep?”

She heard a nervous laugh from the other line. “Sorry. I just…need your help.”

“What for?” she asked, still with an annoyed voice. Waking her up early really destroyed her day.

“Meet me at home, please.” He pleaded.

“And why would I do that? Should we just discuss your problem here…on the phone?!”

“I can’t. Just please, come here.” Again with the pleading voice.

“Don’t tell me you killed someone, and you are inquiring my help to hide the body?!” she asked incredulously, half-joking.

He seems to take it seriously though. “What?! No! No way!...just Shiho, please.”

She laughed, it always give her the pleasure when she get the chance to tease him. “Okay. Wait for me…and my presence is not for free. But of course, you already know that, right?”

“Right.” She heard him answer in a rather dejected tone.

“See you in a few minutes.” She said before hanging up.

*****

It took her not a few minutes to prepare herself though. But it was alright, she thought. She took her phone and headed out.

Next door…Only just several steps away was the location of her caller a while back. She shrugged her shoulder, and pondered.

What is it this time?’

Everytime something happen, he call her. He always do, as if she was his confidant…his partner. They’ve known each other for how long she can remember. He was what some people call a ‘childhood friend’, a friend that knows almost everything about there is. But he doesn’t know…she has a secret. A secret that will definitely shatter what they have now.

Unbeknownst to him, she is in love with him…for years now. She didn’t know when her feelings changed, she just know that they did. She woke up, and he was in a different light already, she cannot compare him with any other guy. A feeling of unease and pleasure developed in her chest whenever she saw him. It was then that she realized she must have fallen in love him. Concurrently, she also realized the dilemma she was in. She know that her newly discovered feeling will alter the rather pleasant relationship they have, so she decided to just be content with it and hid her feelings for him. She buried her love in the deepest of her soul, not wanting for it to reveal. Indeed, it was painful. Furthermore, he was oblivious, and obviously dense about feelings so it was a good chance. She pushed her feelings down and masked it with sardonic statements and expressionless façade. She was just hoping that there will never be a time that these unsaid feelings will overcome her. She does not want everything to change. She can’t lose him.