EIGHT*

Four years later

I sped across town on my motorcycle, passing shops and zipping past streets. My grip on the handlebars tightened as I drove around a corner. The house loomed at the end of the dead end street, and a smile grew across my lips.

I revved on the gas and zipped down the street, getting closer and closer to driving into the exterior of the house. At the last moment before I hit the front lawn a concrete half-pipe jutted out of the ground and I rocketed into the sky. A maniacal laugh erupted from my mouth as I soared over the roof and began plummeting towards the Earth.

At the last moment, I jumped off the bike before the shrubbery grew out and snatched the bike right out of the air and enveloped it like it was its favourite food. As for me, I was snatched from the air by a vine that scaled the back wall of the house and was gently lowered to the ground.

I pulled the helmet off my head, and couldn’t keep the smile off my face, even when I saw John, who was now my father, standing at the patio door. He had his fingers pressed to the bridge of his nose and his eyes were closed. I closed the distance between us and kissed his cheek.

“You are going to be the death of me, kiddo,” he said, but there was a light-hearted laughter in his voice. Through the last four years he had grown a little grey hair around his temples, I had no doubt that it was my fault, but I was finally living my life the way that wanted and not what others had told me to live it.

I kissed his other cheek and wrapped my arms around his neck. “I know, but at least it would be an exciting site to see,” I replied with a smirk.

We walked back in the house and went straight to the kitchen. I opened the fridge and pulled out an apple while he poured himself a cup of coffee. We sat in silence for a few minutes until the sound of voices lilted through the halls. I smirked and stayed where I was while John stood up and walked towards the entry way. A moment later Zander and Parker walked in. Immediately they turned their gazes to me and shared an annoyed look.

“Well it certainly took you two long enough,” I said before taking another bite of my apple to try and hide my growing smirk.

Parker walked towards me and leaned against the counter. “If you had been doing the speed limit than we would have gotten here before you,” he stated, poking my nose.

I stuck my tongue out at him. “I did the speed limit; it was more like the rules of the road I didn’t obtain to.”

“That was if you stayed on the road in the first place,” Zander retorted, “instead of flying through the sky like an airplane.”

I smiled cheekily at him and took another bite of my apple. Parker walked around me, grabbed something from the counter and wrapped his arms around me from behind. “You are far too reckless; you’re going to end up putting me in my grave.”

“You’ll have to get in line behind dad,” I said nonchalantly. It was actually a conversation we have had from the last year, ever since I came to master the gift that I had.

I could control all the elements: fire, earth, water and air. The confrontation with those girls on my first day of school triggered them to work. I kept it a secret for a few months, and the girls were too frightened to say anything to anyone anyways. I practised in the deepest parts of the woods, where no one would find me and if I felt someone getting close I would move away. Being that I was an Alpha’s daughter I could track people and sense if anyone was coming close to me. But apparently Parker was good at sneaking up on people, so he found me one day with a bucket of water trying to freeze the content into the shape of a bunny. And I almost had it until he yelled at me and broke my concentration.