The Encore

The two dancers make their way towards the right side of the stage. Once they are there, the teacher gives the girl a small spin and then sits down at the edge, looking thoughtfully on the ground. Now Jess is alone on stage, dancing like her life depends on it. Fitting the more upbeat music now, she turns and jumps, all the while smiling and obviously having a great time. But some time later, the music begins to slow down and after a break changes from a major to a minor key. Following the more depressing tone of the music, she slows down, dancing seemingly dull, tripping over her own feet as if she wasn't sure about the next steps anymore.

I hadn't seen him in a few days. The weeks after the incident in the staircase we had seen each other very often. He didn't just pass me in the hallways anymore, he stopped and we talked for some time. Same during breaks, we would wander around the schoolyard and talk about anything and nothing. But then that stopped. I knew he was avoiding me, and I could guess why. And even though I knew nothing would come out of this, him ignoring me hurt. A lot. I couldn't concentrate on school anymore, and I honestly didn't care. This feeling of being lost because of someone else had never happened to me before.

The teacher rises from the edge of the stage and dances until he appeares behind the girl. He straightens her up and turns her with a slow spin around so they stand face to face. Without any warning, he softly presses his lips on hers and lets her go a second later. A staggered gasp is heard from the audience. With the music changing again, the two dancers adjust their style and perform now a contemporary dance choreography. They dance absolutely synchronous, but individually on each half of the stage. A short and low wooden box is brought onto the stage, and placed in the middle of the two dancers, as if to delimit their space.

I was aware that he couldn't avoid me forever, but I still wasn't prepared for what was going to happen. He was about to close his classroom when I walked down the hallway. The moment he saw me he froze. But I wasn't willing to let him run away from me anymore. Apparently he noticed my determination and led me in his room. During his explanations I didn't move a muscle and just let him rant on. Those sentences weren't a surprise, but I needed to hear them, otherwise I would have kept wondering. When he was done with his speech, he gave me a small kiss that made my feelings go crazy. Nothing that he had said clarified 'goodbye' as much as this kiss. The first, and the last. My tears kept rolling down my face for hours until I managed to bury every emotion in the deepest parts of my heart.

The desperation is tangible. Every step expresses loneliness and heartache. Each movement shows the dancers' feelings. And suddenly, they crash into each other. Being so captivated in their own world, they didn't realize they've come so close to the middle. Staring at each other, they slowly seem to wake up from their trance. Their eyes flicker from the wooden box behind them to the person in front of them and back again, as if to contemplate whether they should built a larger border. Hesitantly, they rise their hands until they're almost touching. They slowly start to move together, trying if they still know how the other moves, and eventually managing to slow waltz together.

I didn't see it coming this time. It's been months. Looking down while walking through the halls, he appeared out of nowhere. Losing balance due to the impact, my books scattered on the floor. He bent down and helped me collect them, taking more time than necessary. We looked at each other, unsure of what to say. Scratching his neck he said 'I brought selfmade lunch, want some?'.

The music increased again. Both dancers found their rhythm together, helping each other across the wooden box, having fun again. Trusting each other, they swing themselves around without ever doubting that the other would be at the right place. When the music comes to an end, he bends her down for a few seconds and then pulls her in his arms again. He looks down at her lips, giving her the choice to back away or to come closer. Leaning up, she closes the distance and allowes them both to finally share their love with the world.

----------------------------------

I dreamt this last night and needed to write it down. Please point out the mistakes, English isn't my first language. Leave some feedback if you want to!

Dedicated to the one and only and best of them all  AngieTheTurtle