Chapter 14

Franks head was pounding. This had happened so many times in the past, he didn't even question if he'd gotten hammered last night. He knew; he remembered...he remembered...oh god, he remembered...

    Gerard was there...

    And he was still lying in his bed...

    Still wearing pants, thank god. Frank sat up—too quickly, actually—to find that he was just passed out in the middle of it, a blanket or two draped over him. As he left Gerard's bedroom, the night before all came rushing back; along with the instant regret that came with it. And he was about 98% they didn't do anything. Oh god, he HOPED they didn't. He'd hate for their first time to be while he was drunk off his ass and trying to find someone to love and not feel lonely anymore. He didn't know WHY he even felt lonely; he knew he'd always have Gerard...

    It took Frank a minute to realize Gerard wasn't even in the house. He called, knocked on doors, even barged into his parents' room. Nothing. Not even a note. He decided maybe Gerard was out getting something...getting the mail, or breakfast, or...

    Finally, he took his phone out and called him. He didn't even know what he was expecting to say. 'Hey, sorry I tried to bang you last night, where are you?'. It would come to him, he thought. It had to.
    "Hello?" a whispered voice said on the other end.

    "Gerard?" Frank asked, "Where are you?" Good, keeping it simple...

    Hesitation. "D-don't worry about it," Gerard stuttered nervously, "I'm fine. But do me a favor and stay at my house."

    "What? Gerard, did I—did I scare you off? I'm sorry, I was just—"

    "No, no, Frank, this isn't your fault," Gerard interrupted quickly, "Just trust me and stay there until I say, alright?"

    Frank was beginning to get worried. He knew Gerard, and he'd never just up and leave without some kind of note, or a reason. "Gee, tell me what's going on, are you okay?" he urged.

    "I will be as long as you listen to me," he replied, "I'll be fine. Please stay at my house until I say it's okay. Please, Frankie, I'll explain later."

    He could hear the worry and tension in his voice. Something was going on. And as much as he hated to do it, he agreed; as much as he wanted to go help Gerard, he decided to stay. Gerard, happy that Frank followed his one request, began to hang up. "Wait!" Frank called.

    "Yes?"

    Frank paused. "A-about last night...I really am sorry. I didn't mean to—I mean I was just sad and—I missed you. I'm so sorry, I—"

    "Frank," Gerard interrupted him again. All of a sudden, the hurried way he spoke was gone, and he was calm. "It's okay. I understand. We'll talk more about it later. And I—I missed—" Gerard stopped with a gasp, and a yell was heard on the other end. Frank was speechless.

    "Who is that?! FRANK?" A familiar voice said.

    Suddenly, the call ended, and Frank was once again disconnected from him. Frank's stomach was turning, and it wasn't because of the alcohol. He had never been so terrified in his life. Just the very sound of Gerard's shaky, hushed voice sent chills down Frank's spine. He sat down on the floor, clutching the phone and waiting, shaking, and praying that Gerard was okay...

    And wondering what Jimmy had to do with all of this.

***

    It wasn't easy for the banging on the door to awaken Gerard on the lumpy old couch. After Frank had taken over his bed, and god knows WHAT his parents did in their bed, he was left to the couch.