Chapter Five: A Case of Construction

CHAPTER FIVE 

Leon Gonsalez sat in a deep easy chair, reading a French scientific journal. He wore tortoiseshell-rimmed glasses and his lips moved slightly as he read, his forehead furrowed in concentration. His wife Mirabelle, sitting on the sofa opposite his chair, watched him with affection in her eyes. Whatever the subject of this article he was reading, it was clearly giving him considerable food for thought. In any case, she and the other two Just Men would hear all about it shortly. 

Raymond Poiccart was ensconced in an armchair to one side of the window, reading the financial newspapers. With the papers raised up in front of his face, he could hardly be seen behind them; he apparently had two papers in his hands at once and another on his lap. 

Mirabelle turned her head a little to glance at George Manfred, who was reading the international newspapers. The Triangle Agency had a selection of journals delivered every day; in addition to the England press there were papers from the USA, France, Germany, Italy, Russia and Spain. So far as Mirabelle could see, George was reading a German paper at the moment. Its poor-quality paper and dark gothic font were evident even from the distance that she was sitting. 

Mirabelle looked down at the book that she was reading. She had read the Megaphone and the Times earlier that day, and she was now relaxing by reading a light novel, an adventure story set in South Africa. It made her think of her late father, which was comforting in an odd way. 

Leon put down his journal with a slight sigh which made Mirabelle look up. There was a light of mischief in her eyes as her glance met his. Leon took off his glasses, folded them and put them away in his pocket. 'Well,' he said, 'that leaves me questioning the operation of the Universe.' 

Mirabelle laughed. 'Is that all? It doesn't question Lombroso?' 

Leon shrugged. 'The excellent Lombroso was mistaken on so many things.' He was clearly about to go on, but Poiccart interrupted him. 

'I see that Cornish tin mines are rising in value,' he said. 

'Interesting,' said George. 'But is there any tin?' 

'That is what I question,' said Poiccart, and went back to his reading. 

George looked at him, then at Leon and Mirabelle, and said, 'Let us consider what uses there are for a mine other than mining.' 

'Storage,' said Mirabelle at once. 

'As a prison,' said Leon. 'Or as a cover for some other activity.' 

'Who's bought the mine?' asked Mirabelle. Raymond looked up from his newspapers. 

'An Italian businessman,' he said, 'A gentleman from Naples. He has interests in shipping.' 

'Smuggling,' said Mirabelle and Leon together. 

George nodded. 'That's the most likely solution,' he said. 'Is this a name we know?' 

'I believe so,' said Raymond, retreating again behind the newsprint. 'I seem to remember his name in connection with some unsavoury business in Naples a few years ago.' 

'I will mention the subject to Meadows,' George decided. 'This isn't a case which need concern us - the police can deal with it.' 

Raymond grunted assent, and silence fell again on the room. George neatly folded the paper he had been reading and picked up another. This one had a lighter font; from where she sat, Mirabelle thought it might be Spanish. 

Leon noticed her studying George's reading matter, and let his own gaze follow hers. 'Anything of interest to us in Barcelona?' he asked. 

George looked up - Mirabelle thought he might have blushed. 'Not particularly,' he said.