Chapter 3

The schooner gleamed against the dusky sky. Its dark sails cast its own a shadow from the fading sun. Endless screams melded together in a symphony of death and destruction. Everyone running and trampling on each other when they came for them. Heavy nets from the sky fell on the crowd. Many were slaughtered and those who can lay themselves the ground. Prostrating with their palms together over their heads and their bodies flat on the grounds. Begging and crying for them not to bring death upon them or their family. Iron chains rattled against the sands. Family homes burned down beyond recognition. Those who rebelled found swift death. They came from the sea in fire and darkness. Scorching everything in its path.

I woke up with my screams muffled against a musty pillow. I was on my front and my back felt like it was being torn open. The pain was overwhelming. I could hear rumblings and soothing words but the pain was too much. Their restrictive hold on me didn't help and I cursed them illegibly. I fought them hard with every strength within me but it only make them more determine to keep me still.

Strange words called me and my whole body shook in ferocity. Then a hand at the back of my hand made me still. I tried to turn my face up but the hand kept me still. The voices over my head called to me. They beckoned me and then they became persuasive. I felt the fight left my body and replaced with lead. The voices pullled me down and down. They reasoned with myself to let go of the things. I tried to argue that it was important but the thought slipped. I was floating. I was nothing. At least, for a little while.