five: guard dog

2009

"Babe, I'm fist-fighting with fire just to get close to you

"Babe, I'm fist-fighting with fire just to get close to you."

Jason gave two more sloppy thrusts, completely spent, before pulling away from her. He moved back into the driver's seat and collapsed in exhaustion. "That was pretty hot."

Jo moved the passenger's side seat into a sitting position as she tugged her swimsuit back on. She looked at him and rolled her eyes, snorting. Could he be any more of a boy? "I know. I was there."

He laughed as he dug for his ringing phone in the empty cup holder of the car. Jason's easy-going look hardened as he checked his messages.

"Who is it? Your mom asking you where the hell you were last night?"

He cleared his throat as he rubbed his neck. "Actually, it's my girlfriend. She wants me to take her on a date this weekend."

"Girlfriend." She nodded, letting the word slide around in her head.

"I have a girlfriend. Her name is CeCe." He confirmed as he slid the phone into his shorts' pocket. When Jo still hadn't said anything, he raised his brows. "Does that upset you?"

"Do you honestly give a damn?" She blurted out. There was no point in talking about feelings. Not when most of their time was spent doing things that didn't require words.

He hesitated, before shaking his head.

To anyone else, it was a setback, a heartbreaking betrayal. But Jo didn't see it that way. They were already hiding their relationship from the world—what was one more person? Besides, she could never take Jason seriously. He didn't glance at her differently than he would other girls. Why should she do that for him when she could keep her options open? Smirking, she shrugged her shoulders. "Then, me neither."

Jason laughed, reaching over the console to kiss her. It was rough and rushed, like most of them were. Everything was about reaching a climax, rather than enjoying the ride. "Can you spare another round?"

"I'm already late as is."

"C'mon, I'll be very quick." He whispered as he trailed his fingers up the inside of her thigh.

"I'm sure you will, but I won't." She grinned as she gripped his wrist, and pulled it away. "Your sister is going to kill me if I don't hang out today. She's already mad at me about something else. Let's not add to it, OK?"

Jo pushed open the car door and stepped out. As Jason cranked the car to life, Jo turned around and thanked him for the ride before walking through the woods to the lake.

2010

"Sorry that I'm late, ladies." She mumbled through a mouthful of a warm blueberry muffin. Jo walked through the kitchen door of Spencer's house. "But it's for a good cause. Doc removed my stitches this morning!"