The Billionaire's Housekeeper - Chapter 21

Nicholas shook his head and wrapped an arm around Tommy, pulling his sleeping son closer to his body. After an effusive greeting from the Giannopoulos family and a beautiful meal together, the group had descended down onto the family's private beach. Beautiful clean sand led the way down to cool clear water. It never failed to amaze him how clear the sea could be when the seas back in England were so murky you would never be able to see the bottom.

In Markos' little section of paradise, everything was different. Even Nick felt a difference in himself. There were no cameras trying to force their way into his life. There were no crazy women trying to fight their way into his bed. There was only blissful peace. Even though the trip was purely a business arrangement, it didn't stop Nick taking a deep breath of the salty sea air and allowing himself to relax -- marginally.

His lips pulled into a small smile. Delilah lay buried within the sand just a few feet away, head and arms free as Betsy knelt by her feet in a one piece, carving the sand with her hands to form a mermaid tail. As if she felt his gaze, Betsy lifted her gaze, her blue eyes sparkling as her curls formed a wild halo around her head.

Nick drew in a sharp breath.

Beautiful.

There was no other way to describe her. It was an unpretentious beauty that ensnared him, drew his attention like no other woman ever had. She was so understated. She didn't try to impress him with make-up. She didn't try to impress him at all. It was one of the things he enjoyed most about Betsy. She was herself and never pretended to be anyone else. It was so refreshing. Who she was on the inside outshone the beauty on the outside.

She had pulled his family together. She had united them. She had even brought around the in-laws which was an incredible feat in itself. She was a one of a kind.

"Daddy, look at me. I'm Ariel." Delilah shouted. Her face was bright as she wriggled about in the sand. In her excitement, her foot kicked through the mermaid tail but Betsy didn't even blink. She just tickled the foot which had been revealed, earning a giggle from his daughter, and then she started to reshape the obliterated fin.

"Wow, that's amazing. I didn't know you were a mermaid!"

Delilah giggled and rolled her eyes as she stared up at Betsy. "Daddy's very silly."

Pressing his lips together, Nick fought back a chuckle.

"Do you need any help Betsy? I think you've got a queue forming." Nick teased, his eyes darting to the little girls who had gathered around them. They all had heads of thick dark hair just like their parents, and the same matching Giannopoulos nose. They were trying so hard to restrain themselves, to be good while they waited their turn, but they could stop the excitable jig as they watched on.

"You stay there Nico. You should relax more." Markos interrupted as he knelt down into sand. "Besides, we all know I am the artist here. I will create mermaids."

As he spoke, Markos pulled his granddaughters close and ruffled their hair. "Now which one shall have a tail first?!"

As the three little girls proceeded squeal and leap into their grandfather's arms, Nick sighed. He allowed the some of the tension, which was always present in his body, to ebb away. It felt odd. His body ached as it relaxed back into the deckchair. He spent so much of his life on guard, waiting for disappointment and betrayal, that peace and contentment were completely foreign.

With his son cradled against his body, sitting in the shade of the umbrella, Nick watched the Giannopoulos family interacting. They didn't care that the Davenport's were not of their blood. They made every effort to involve them all, to make them feel comfortable and welcome. Despite how many times he had been around Markos in recent months, had been on the receiving end of his generosity and exuberance, he still struggled to comprehend that people – families- like them existed.