Chapter IX

Corwin perched atop the roof of the library, sleepy eyes glued on two figures in the shaded alley below. They were two street boys, each older than Corwin. He'd seen them before on the streets but had never actually met either. One was your typical parasite; maybe thirteen, big for his age, and none too bright. His name was Jake. He was a mean one, too, even by the violent standards of the street.

Only a few months ago, Corwin could remember watching from just this perch, terrified, while he beat another boy near to death over some minor argument. Only a passing monk had saved the boy's life, and Corwin knew he still walked with a limp to this day. Corwin had made it a point to avoid Jake ever since.

The other boy was strange. He was about the same age as Jake, and taller, though much too thin for his lanky frame. Corwin didn't know his name, but he'd passed him a few times on the street. He was something of a loner. As far as Corwin knew, he wasn't a bad sort. He'd never seen him pick on or steal from the smaller children. Probably why he was so skinny.

The angry sounds of their argument had awoken him. Now he watched as angry words turned to violence. While the taller boy was in mid-sentence, Jake stepped forward and pushed him down, jumping on top of him even as he fell.

Jake managed to land a few blows before the lanky boy scrambled out from under him and regained his footing. He stood towering over Jake, and using his longer reach, he landed several punches to Jake's head, including a nasty hit to the nose. Jake seemed dazed by the blow for a moment, and fell back a few steps.

"Let's just call it even," the tall boy said in between labored breaths.

Jake used the back of his hand to wipe blood from a bleeding face. He looked down at the blood coating his fingers, and his eyes lit up with anger. "It ain't even, though. You hit me. Nobody hits me."

Faking a step forward, Jake bounced back several paces. He flashed a wicked grin as he used the space he'd gained to pull a rusty kitchen knife from his boot. The other boy took a few steps back, as what had begun as a minor scuffle turned into a life or death struggle.

"Not so big now are you, ratface," Jake said, laughing at the other boy's obvious fear. He made a few sweeping cuts with the blade, backing the boy into the corner of the alley.

Corwin winced. He wished the taller boy had thought to bring a knife. He wracked his brain for a way to help; he'd much rather see Jake finally dealt with than another boy killed. It would take far too long for him to climb down the rickety door frame he used as a ladder and make it to the alley, and besides, he'd just get himself cut in the process.

His eyes wandered around the roof for something to throw. They stopped on a large, jagged piece of brick sticking out of the Chimney. A hard smile crossed his childish features. Perfect.

It seemed to take forever as he pulled the heavy chunk of mortar free and lugged it towards the edge of the rooftop. Jake was toying with the other boy now, laughing. He showed no signs of stopping. It was clear from the blood on the alley floor he'd cut the boy several times already. Corwin waited a moment, gauging his timing. As Jake stepped forward to slice the boy again, Corwin made ready to push the brick off the roof.

"Hey Jake!" Corwin shouted. The unexpected voice caught Jake off guard. He stopped and looked around, confused. "Catch!" Corwin said, and pushed.

The brick tipped off the roof into the air, just as Jake tilted his head up in surprise. He never even had a chance to realize the danger. There was a sickening crunch as brick met boy, and his body crumpled limply to the ground.

A few minutes later Corwin was in the alley, helping the tall boy to his feet. The cuts looked painful, but they weren't very deep. Jake had only been getting started.