Chapter 3: Rumour Has It

CHAPTER 3: RUMOUR HAS IT

You know how they say that behind every rumour there's a bit of truth?

Well, in my case, they're undoubtedly right on.

Audrey and Stella have such intense magic powers. They can distribute gossip around faster than a pack of cheetahs. They also know how to convince everyone and anyone that what they're saying is true and totally worth their time.

Almost everyone in Cedarfield Heights now knew that I was up to no good. What were they playing at? 'No Good' is my middle name.

"Hey, Mia! Is it true that..." some short girl in grade nine trailed off while I just stepped out of last period.

"Yeah, yeah, it's true. I'm making this Gradebook for all the guys," I responded, extremely bored of repeating this only about a million times so far this day.

Her face instantly lit up. "Awesome! That's great, 'cause I really needed help with this Nathaniel dude..."

"Um... Only for my grade. Eleventh. Sorry," I said, giving her a quick last glance and walking away. I didn't feel sorry at all. Imagine how much time it would take to give a mark to all the guys in this school. I'd have no time for shopping.

A tall, sloppy guy came up to me, just as my hand touched the doorknob that led outside, holding a burger in his hand. The mayonnaise was slowly dripping down his chin. "Hey, redhead!"

I snapped my head up quickly and scrunched my face with disgust. He was the most repulsive slob I'd seen in a long time.

"What? Don't you see that I have important stuff to do?" I whined, irritatingly pointing my finger to the cherry red door of the school, and then placing my hands on my hips.

"Well, see here, I sort of have to impress this girl... And apparently you're making this, whatchamacallit, report card for all the guys? Here's my deal. You give me straight A's and I'll give you a gift certificate to McDonald's!" He said with a cheeky grin that showed his dingy teeth.

"Ew! No! I don't eat that junk. Listen, I don't get easily bribed, and if I do, it's with something that is either actually edible, or something thoughtful, alright? I'm going to make it as clear as possible: Your report card is going to be as sloppy as you are," I said with indignation. "So don't expect anything good."

He looked at me blankly, like he didn't comprehend what I was saying. Leave it to me to throw a witty remark to someone who failed a couple of grades straight.

"Aw. I knew you'd say that," he stated sadly. My face cracked into a satisfied smile. Maybe he wasn't so stupid. "Well then, how about a certificate to Burger King?"

I slapped my forehead and let out a long, exasperated sigh. "You're helpless."

I turned away from him, and immediately concluded that his grades would be a no-brainer.

Audrey and Stella were watching me from the other side of the hallway, proud smiles dancing on their lips. Once I reached my locker, I unlocked it, and shoved my textbooks inside. Just as I was about to slam the door shut, another arm shot out and closed it for me, a swift air whooshing and nipping my cheeks.

I stared at Alec, shocked. What did he want? He usually hung out at the library for a while after school, trying to rouse Alyce into sitting next to him.

"I'll give you twenty bucks for an A+ in all categories," he said amusedly, waggling around a twenty dollar bill.

"First of all, that would be biased. Second of all, how did you find out about my totally secret, hidden plans?" I said sarcastically. Then I frowned. "Wait, did you forget my family could possibly be one of the richest families in Cedarfield? That's insulting!"