The agony of a princess

• Dedicated to friends

Chapter 5

“How are you feeling this evening, Catherine? Have you taken enough rest?” Eric enquired with concern in his eyes as he gently danced with her in the ball room. “You shouldn’t have taken the trouble of coming all the way down here in such terrible cold, your body is too weak.  I was going to visit you anyway,” he added as he knew the princess’s health was poor since she was suffering from a weak immune system that she had developed at birth.

“You fondly said the same words last spring, but you never came,” Catherine replied softly and shifted her gaze away.

Eric paused and wondered how he had failed to keep his promise yet again, that’s when it dawned on him that he had spent his spring break in proving Princess Marine wrong in an international debate organised by the university.

The events of that day crossed his mind before he got lost in thoughts about Marine. Princess Catherine noticed the faraway look in his eyes and withdrew her slender arms from his broad shoulders.  She coughed and grabbed his attention before raising her fan.

“Are you alright, Catherine? Shall I get you a chair?” Eric noticed her flushed face and caught her wrist to check her pulse while she fanned herself.

“Thank you, Eric but I suppose some fresh air is all I need,” she suggested and felt cluster phobic amidst the other guests.  Eric understood and politely guided her out to the balcony.

“You’re sure you don’t want me to arrange for a chair? You look fatigue,” he stated while she drew in a deep breath and stood near the railings.

“I’m perfectly fine, Eric, though I wish you would talk on anything, but my health,” she sighed and paused.  The side locks of her auburn hair swayed with the wind while the jewels embedded over her gown shimmered in the moonlight and complemented her fair complexion.

 There was an awkward silence between them since Eric had no clue what else to speak other than her health. He rested his elbow against the railings and stared at her beauty for an eternity until she decided to speak.

“I essayed the art of painting, you should see the cups & saucers I painted last week. Uncle says they’re too pretty to be resting at home,” she said and glanced at him. “I hope that didn’t sound offensive, you wouldn’t mind me painting for pleasure would you?” she added and fixed her gaze on him.

“Not if you were to do it for a living, I have no objections on what you fancy,” he assured her and smiled.

“Unfortunate are those who do things for a living, I don’t see the need why women these days are earning for a living. Doesn’t it sound completely abhorrent, Eric? Women walking shoulder to shoulder with men...I fear fashion is partly to be blamed for this change, look at the way ladies dress up these days, high collar shirts with straight cut jacket like men...I would never wear one of those, I’m sure you feel the same about it, don’t you?” she adjusted her umbrella skirt and went on speaking about how cultured and homely she was compared to working ladies.

Eric listened and was reminded about Marine once again, the description she gave was similar to the way Marine dressed in the academy. Holding her elegant walking cane in one hand and thick books in the other, she would saunter during late afternoons in the front lawn and pass her free time.

“Women are supposed to be nurturers not workers, I’m glad I have my senses and virtues in place. I wonder how others see it though,” She paused to take a breath when Eric took the conversation forward.

“Disagreeable as always, some just don’t know where to draw the line. If they feel they can compete in every field then they must be proved wrong, not every path belongs to them,” he stiffened and ran his fingers  through his hair.