Memory Lost

There was a time where Scott loved the exhaustion of lacrosse, where the pure exhilaration and satisfaction of a hard work out thrilled him. He loved coming home sweaty and wiped out, and then collapsing on his bed with one final effort to stay awake. Now, it was just sad. The fact that graduation was so close, sent chills through his spine. He felt like every practice was only a contributing factor to his last.
A voice startled his train of thought. "You're stepping down as team captain?"
Scott jumped, accidentally shutting his locker in the process. There stood Isaac, in all his post-practice, after shower glory.
"Well.. yeah. If I want to get into UC Davis I have to keep my grades up." Scott explained.
Isaac frowned. "But you can't! We still need you, you're the best leader we've got."
Scott suppressed his huge grin into a small smile. "It's better I go now than later. Besides, Liam's taking my place,"
Isaac huffed.
"He's my beta, Isaac. He's going to have to start saving Beacon Hills once I'm gone."
Isaac paused ever so slightly. "I thought I was your beta."
Scott's mind was reeling. "Technically you're Derek's."
"But.. I always sorta thought, I don't know.." Isaac shoved his hands in his pockets. "I was maybe, your adopted Beta? Or something? Ah, nevermind." He looked toward the floor.
Scott was about to implode. "I mean, yeah, in a sense you kind of are." He slung his bag over his shoulder and gave Isaac a grin. "Come on, lets go home."

***

The two boys were the very last people out of the locker room. The school sat silently on the grounds, no night classes tonight, just Isaac and Scott. It was only 6:30PM, yet the dark spring sky showed no change in season. The air was warm, and smelled of fresh flowers. The two werewolves stayed quiet throughout most of the walk home, but the excited and terrified voice of Lydia Martin reached the other side of Scott's phone.
"Mhm.. yup.. got it, Ghost Riders. Yes, Lydia, I'll be careful. See you later." Scott hung up his phone with a satisfying click. He turned to Isaac and attempted to explain the little knowledge they had about the Wild Hunt. Unfortunately, Scott was so nervous around Isaac that he could barely keep from stuttering. Isaac scrunched his nose. "Erase people?"
"I'm still a little confused too," Scott assured.
They continued to walk down the sidewalk wordlessly, until Isaac stopped in his tracks.
He looked off in the distant. "And what do these people look like.. exactly? The ghost riders, I mean."
Scott shrugged. "I don't know.. like zombie cowboys?"
Isaac kept his eyes glued on the horizon.
"Are you oka-?"
Isaac grabbed his arm and shushed him. "Do you see that?" He whispered fiercely.
Scott made an attempt to view what he was looking at, but all he saw was the school, locked up and empty.
"Isaac.. what are you-"
"Lydia said the hunt comes by storm, right?"
Scott nodded. "Yeah.. but-" Thunder cracked overhead, interrupting him. Scott's eyes widen. "You see one, don't you?" He said with as little panic in his voice as he could mange.
Isaac gave a slight nod before becoming completely still. Scott could tell he was terrified, (Isaac had little control over showing his fear.) and for once, he had no idea what to do. He wasn't even sure if a ghost rider was there, much less if Isaac could see one.

But if Isaac could see one.. No. Scott couldn't bare that thought. By now, Scott concluded that Isaac wasn't going anywhere any time soon if he didn't do something. Scott grabbed Isaac's arm and did the only thing he could do.

He ran.

***

With thunder clapping overhead, and horses neighing in the distance, Scott sprinted across the lacrosse field with Isaac in tow. Scott didn't have the faintest clue where to go. They couldn't go home, it was too far away at this point, not to mention they were running in the opposite direction. The janitors had locked up the school tight, and they couldn't break in without setting off the alarms. They had run all around the campus, but every time the pair had turned a corner, Isaac had screamed that another ghost rider was there, although Scott could see nothing. Even with their wolf speed, they were tired. Coach was relentless enough at practice, now Scott was running from something he couldn't even see.

Scott pulled Isaac under the bleachers to regroup.
"Scott?" Isaac panted, out of breath from running.
"Yeah?"
"You need to get out of here, okay? Run as fast as you can."
"No," Scott protested. "No way."
Isaac gave him a pitying smile. "They're coming for me, you still have time."
Scott, once again determined, shook his head. "No one gets left behind, right? That includes you, Isaac."
Isaac unwrapped his scarf from around his neck and draped it around Scott. He paused. "You've looked cold, even when you said you weren't." Isaac bit his bottom lip. "Take it."
"No!"
There was very few things in his that made Scott cry. He felt hopeless from time to time, he also felt sadness, but he was a leader. Scott had to be the strong one, it was his job. If he fell apart, everyone else would too. But this, this was absolutely heart shattering. His eyes welled with hot tears, contrasting the brisk breeze that was beginning to whirl around them.
"Scott.." Isaac's voice was soft, the type of thing you would hear when comforting a child. He tugged on the ends of the scarf. "It's okay.. I was gone for a year, right? You were able to defend Beacon Hills just fine."
Not well enough. He wanted to say, but Scott struggled to find words.
Isaac scoffed. "I think I caused more problems when I was here."
Scott wanted to tell him he was wrong, he really did, but he knew he was running out of time. "I'm going to find you, okay?" Scott said as the wind whipped around them. "I'm going to remember you."
Isaac gave him one last, trademark grin. "No, no you're not."

It happened so quick, it took Scott several seconds to process it all. Isaac was viciously ripped from his grasp by an invisible force. Scott let out an unintelligible cry as green smoke took Isaac's place, leaving him sitting underneath the bleachers all alone.

As the wind died down, Scott did the quickest thing he could think off when he realized the situation. With his claws, he messily scratched two words in the backside of the metal seats.

Isaac. taken.