Superpostion (Part 1)

As Scott pushed open the doors to the school, his heart fluttered. It was the strangest thing, Kira had gone with the skinwalkers, so why did he feel so... nervous? No, nervous wasn't the word. Excitedly anxious was more like it. But for the life of him, he couldn't figure out why. He triple checked his calendar, he had no tests or special classes today. Scott made his way down the hallway, searching every inch of the lockers. Was he suppose to meet Lydia? He felt like he should be greeting somebody. He brusquely brushed off his uncertainty, and headed into the courtyard.

"Wait, what do you mean I can't go to prom dressed as Bruce Wayne?" Stiles asked as Scott sat his bag down.
Lydia grabbed a bit of his muffin and popped it on her mouth. "I'm not saying no to the suit and tie, I'm saying that if you show up to our senior prom dressed as Batman, I'm going to kill you." Scott smiled, he had listened to their banter for four relentless years. It was nice to see that all of his attempted matchmaking had paid off.
Stiles grumbled something about her being a real life cat woman, and Lydia kissed him on the cheek.

Malia sniffed the air, a vague look of confusion plastered on her face.
"You okay?" Scott asked.
"Yeah... I just..." Malia sniffed some more, navigating herself toward Scott's bag.
"What is it?"
Malia frowned. "What's in your bag?"
Stiles and Scott exchanged a look. "Uh.. just my books, I think."
Malia reached into the messages bag and pulled out a long, grey scarf.
"Woah," Lydia said, taking it from her. She checked the tag. "Is this yours?"
Scott, massively perplexed , shook his head.
"It's Hermès," she noticed, feeling the material between her fingers.
"You mean a Greek god is trapped inside a scarf?" Stiles asked, leaning over her shoulder. "I can deal with werewolves, but gods are a no-no."
Lydia rolled her eyes but couldn't suppress an amused smiled. "It's a brand of scarf."
"Oh, I knew that."
Scott stared at the ground, none of this made sense.
"So.. if it's not yours, whose is it?" Malia asked.
"I'm not sure... but I.. I think I've seen it before." Scott rubbed the back of his neck. "But I don't remember putting it in my bag,"
Lydia draped the scarf around Stiles, inspecting it carefully. "Hm.. Nope. You can't pull it off." With a swift pull, the scarf slid of his off his neck and passed it to Scott.
"What? I can too!"
"Mhm."
The two teased each other until Stiles jokingly gave her the cold shoulder. Scott probably would have enjoyed it, but he was too preoccupied with the thought of the mysterious scarf.

***

Scott often found himself distracted in Physics, but never to this degree. Of course, he always droned out Mr. Douglas halfway through the class, but today he found his mind wandering within five minutes. The entire day felt off. In almost every one of Scott's classes, there was an extra desk he didn't remember being empty. He could've sworn that he had someone sitting next to him at his lab bench. Maybe it was Danny, he's been out sick lately.

Wait, he saw Danny this morning, that couldn't be possible.

Scott clutched the scarf underneath his desk. It felt soft between his fingers. He never wore scarfs, mainly because wool was too scratchy around his neck. But if he did, Stiles would probably mock him until graduation. Who did the scarf belong too? The question nagged at him like a bug bite. Every time he even slightly pushed the thought away, it just started itch once more.
"Mr. McCall? Hello?"
Scott quickly shoved the scarf back into his bag and looked up. Mr. Douglas hovered over his desk with a smile you could buy in stores.
"Can you tell us who discovered Newton's third law?"
Scott, still startled by the question and thoughts of the scarf, struggled to process what he asked.
"Uh.."
The entire class erupted in laughter. Stiles banged his head on his desk repeatedly, meanwhile Lydia cringed. Scott's face became a deep shade of velvet
Mr. Douglas shot him a pitying look. "You see class, if Mr. McCall we're paying attention, he would have said Sir Isaac Newton."
The name struck him. Scott raises his hand. "Excuse me, Mr. Douglas? Did you say Sir Isaac Newton?"
"I did indeed," he said. "Considering his name is in the law, I'm pretty sure he discovered it."
Again, the entire classed roared. A low growl escaped from Malia's lips, but Lydia was able to quickly and quietly calmed her down.
"S-sorry.. I was just checking." Scott lowered his head in embarrassment. Throughout the rest of class, Scott kept quiet. He stared at the empty lab bench next to him, attempting to figure out who on earth sat there.

All he came up with was a big bunch of nothing,

Stiles leaned over to him. "You okay?" he asked.
Scott nodded and leaned back in his seat, pensively staring at the stool that sat empty beside him. "Yeah... I think so."