10

There were about a million new questions on the tip of my tongue, all of them ready to spill out and attack Tony like an unyielding boxer. I was mostly ashamed to admit that I probably would've let them hit if it wasn't for luck saving him—and myself from ruining our new fragile bond—when there came a knock from the front door.

Both mine and Tony's heads pivoted to the sound, my brows first flying upwards in surprise, then creasing in confusion. Dan wouldn't be back from picking up Kyle yet, and even if he was, I knew I saw him grab his keys before he left...

"I..." I cleared my throat and looked at Tony for a moment before standing up. "I should get that. Stay here."

Giving no indication of hearing me, Tony leaned back into the couch, still holding the violin. I gave him one last glance before I then walked up to the front door, not peering through the peephole first to see who it was.

How I instantly wished I had done that.

The moment I opened the door, I wanted to slam it shut as my heart dropped into my gut and my breath stopped dead. Instead, I stared in dumb shock as my ex stood on the other side of the threshold. Mason.

"Hello, Mel," He said, casting a short glance up and down my body. The one he used to know so well. The one he used to cherish, to love, to kiss, to hold.

Six months weren't nearly long enough. The pain of looking at his face still hurt, yet I couldn't stop, even if I wanted to desperately turn away. "What... what are you doing here?" I didn't even remember choosing to speak. My heart lodged in my throat, and how I got words past that was a mystery.

Looking polished and pressed as always, Mason stood before me with his capturing green eyes and hazelnut brown hair. I remembered how I used to fawn over his good looks, how I used to bite my lip when he tied his tie in the morning, smirking at me through the mirror. Every time he said those three beautiful words, I had treasured them because no other man had ever said them to me. Nobody with that much passion and adoration.

If only I had known he had tossed the very same words to my former best friend.

"You called me." His voice pulled me out of my dark memories and back to the present. My brows furrowed at his reply, trying to place it. What?

"Did you forget already?" His perfect brow rose flatly as if I was missing out on something obvious. He then suddenly pulled his phone out, tapped on it a few times, then held it up as he turned up the volume. And then it all came back to me.

"Masoooon!" My voice sounded shrill and absolutely horrible through his voicemail, yet the sensation that filled my stomach as I remembered was what made me want to throw up. "Hey asshole, it's me, the ex-girlfriend you decided to cheat on by shoving your teenie weenie dick up my best friend. You think they would even actually call it cheating when it's that small? I mean... if I was a lesbian—"

"Turn that off," I forced out, meeting him with burning eyes. This wasn't happening.

"Oh, no, my favorite part is coming up. Listen," Mason drawled and provocatively turned the sound further up so loudly, I was sure the whole hallway could hear it.

"—and guess what; I'm gonna tell you a secret that I never told you. You ready? Here goes; I like getting fucked through the backdoor. Suck it!" My hysterical cackling through the phone only made the sting in my chest and the humiliation so much worse, but what was even worse was, Mason didn't stop it. No. He kept on letting it play, forcing me to relive the night of my life I wanted to forget more than anything. "Tonight I'm gonna find myself a big black cock and I'm gonna let it fuck me through the backdoor—"